a question about vista

ineedanamethatworks

I just wish to make a note on this thread, I personally had Vista Home Premium (32-bit) not too long ago before upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). I personally never experienced any issues with UAC - And I was using the STEAM based version of Fallout 3 which installs into "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3". So it's not neccessarily an issue with the Vista OS in specific I believe.

...So it's not neccessarily an issue with the Vista OS in specific I believe.

Here is a quote from Quarn, author of ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated:

"If you are using Windows Vista make sure you DO NOT play Fallout 3 from your Program Files folder, this has been known to cause strange problems (if UAC is on/incorrect permissions), install Fallout 3 somewhere else."

I tend to trust his opinion.

User Account Control was designed to help people avoid installing spyware unknowingly. It seems that people can avoid problems by disabling UAC (which might decrease security) or by always running as administrator (which also can make you more vulnerable online).

Installing into a non-default directory creates no additonal security issues while avoiding potential "strange problems".