should I install quest and game play mods for my first playthrough?

elfena

Hi. This is my first oblivion playthrough and I want the best experience possible. I'm probably only going to play one character. I've already got most of the visual mods installed. I want to know if it's a good idea to install the quests and game play mods like A brotherhood Renewed and oscuros oblivion overhaul. Thanks.

Not sure how to advise you other than to say that I did for my first play through. In fact, it's the mods that got me interested, and hooked, to the game in the first place! :laugh:

All anyone can really do is offer a suggestion. if you truly only plan to ever do one play through then yes...mod the heck out of it and get the most you can out of it. But choose very wisely, do your research and find exactly what interests you. Be sure you understand how to install, how to set proper load order, avoid mod conflicts, and read the comments on each mod to understand what the common bugs may be.

I would humbly suggest doing at least your first play through with just the vanilla game. This will give you a much deeper appreciation of how your chosen mods expand and enrich the game world.

If it is your first playthrough, I would also suggest you not to train blindly. In my first one, I had to put the difficulty slider ridiculously low if I didn't want to get one-hitted by every goddamn Daedroth, because I just trained and trained without thinking about Oblivion's levelling system.

Alternatively, if you don't want the levelling to be that extreme anymore, you could try an XP mod (using it always now, but changes the game drastically).

I would say that you should use mods in your first playthrough. The game in vanilla isnt fun by to days standard and you will sooner or later get rather annoyed how some mechanics work.

Best of luck

I'd say vanilla (with UOP and any other vanilla-enhancing mod only). If you'll play vanilla first then you'll be up to replaying the game with mods but I don't think the opposite can happen.

If you'll decide to mod the game then do yourself a favor and get to understand the basics of it first. Then install a simple mod to get the hang of it. So many people "dive" into it face first and it appears they can't even google.

You'll save yourself from a lot of grief if you'll take one step at a time.

Make a back up of your game directory, i ran into so many problems when i started modding my 2nd playthrough

after what i went thru id recommend prepping your pc for an os reinstall if you decide to get into modding

my modding problems broke my pc setup so bad i couldnt get the game to do anything but crash regardless of using backups of data directories, complete reinstalls of all software, setting multiple restore points that didnt fix the problem, and hour after hour after hour of reading

im surprised im the only one ive seen so far that had such a severe problem but it really did happen that way for me. freakin nightmare scenario fo shore

Edited by meathead013