Origin of the Gray Prince, Worst Quest Ever?

Megatarius

Wow. Nice. Thanks Bethesda. I pretty much considered this quest to be my character's reason for being in the game. She got so far with so many other quests and accomplishments along the way.

When I reached Crowhaven, I was so excited. I found the journal at the end. Dramatic storyline, everything. I hauled ass back to the Arena to tell Argornak the news.

It may even be safe to say, I put my heart into this quest. I was really getting into it. It was halfway across Cyrodill! It was an honest to God Hero's Journey.

And all I get, is (according to a walkthrough I read because there was no visible result of finishing the quest and I had to know if I did something wrong) the Grand Champion of the Arena gets depressed and won't fight me??? What????

The Grand Champion of the Arena will not fight me and begs for death. Excuse me????

Lame. I want to earn the title. I'm using Oscuro's for God's sake. I thought he was supposed to be hard.

I know. The reward of the quest is, the Grand Champion of the Arena is not so hard. But you see, that defeats the whole purpose. The Arena is one of the best parts of the game. My character may think it's okay to sell Argonians into slavery and ignore beggars on the street, but there's no way she'd dirty herself with some depressed loser with daddy issues.

EDIT:

Okay, I calmed down. But I really am extremely disappointed. This on the heels of my apology for some of my rude comments in the past thread. I still stand by my apology, but this is the sort of thing that caused me to say certain things in the first place.

Word of warning. If you talk to Agronak with the journal from Crowhaven in your inventory, that's it. No turning back. You now will have an easy fight with a less than satisfying ending to what started off as a really cool saga. Unless you use a mod to drop quest items, you will be stuck with it.

The Siege of Kvatch is my favorite part of this game so far. The very end of Gray Prince is my least.

The real main event is destroying Yellow team when you and the pig take on the archer/mage/warrior combo.

The Orc aint gonna match that even if he tries.

If you talk to the arena dwellers after each fight it should only seem natural that it's the Yellow team female dog that you really want to beat.

I wasn't really bothered by the end of the Gray Prince quest personally. He is still weaker than a lot of other previous battles than you will have fought before the end of the Arena questline, provided you actually get to fight him. Dumb as it may sound, but it was easier to fight him personally, than it was to fight the three Argonian prisoners. The Gray Prince quest, fighting all the vampires in that quest that you fight, is in the long run tougher than fighting the Gray Prince directly.

What did bother me though, was that killing him if he surrendered, was considered by the game to be murder.

I quite liked it.

After facing those bloody argonian prisoners (this was on the PS3 version, difficulty slider right up), I thought I was gonna get mauled by the Gray Prince. But no, I do a little favor for him, and he makes it easy.

Yay.

I didn't really like the ending. :/

They could have included an option for you to walk away. Then maybe a few days later, a rumour surfaced that the Gray Prince has disappeared. Checking with the battle matron and master yield nothing as they were confused too. Having suspicious, you went to Crowhaven to find the vampire's prison defiled and the Gray Prince's body. Apparently he commited suicide. With no more Grand Champion, they had no choice but to name the player Grand Champion. But before they could do so, the spirit of Gaiden Shinji came forth and wanted the player to prove their worth by dueling him in the arena. After defeating him, he bestow the title of Grand Champion to the player.

:P That would have been something cool.

I didn't really like the ending. :/

They could have included an option for you to walk away. Then maybe a few days later, a rumour surfaced that the Gray Prince has disappeared. Checking with the battle matron and master yield nothing as they were confused too. Having suspicious, you went to Crowhaven to find the vampire's prison defiled and the Gray Prince's body. Apparently he commited suicide. With no more Grand Champion, they had no choice but to name the player Grand Champion. But before they could do so, the spirit of Gaiden Shinji came forth and wanted the player to prove their worth by dueling him in the arena. After defeating him, he bestow the title of Grand Champion to the player.

:P That would have been something cool.

No, it wouldn't. Because Gaiden woulda been like the rest of the "spirits" you fight in Obi ... that is to say he may have looked pretty cool, but he woulda, at the end of the day, been a ghost. Use a silver weapon with any enchantment except frost and he's going down real hard, real fast. And that, against the greatest arena champion of all time, woulda been an even bigger let down than the Gray Prince.

On an even sadder note - The Yellow team vs the Player n' the Pig is a much, Much, MUCH harder fight than the Gray Prince is anyway, and I did ditch the journal before I spoke to him, so you really don't miss out on much.

No, it wouldn't. Because Gaiden woulda been like the rest of the "spirits" you fight in Obi ... that is to say he may have looked pretty cool, but he woulda, at the end of the day, been a ghost. Use a silver weapon with any enchantment except frost and he's going down real hard, real fast. And that, against the greatest arena champion of all time, woulda been an even bigger let down than the Gray Prince.

On an even sadder note - The Yellow team vs the Player n' the Pig is a much, Much, MUCH harder fight than the Gray Prince is anyway, and I did ditch the journal before I spoke to him, so you really don't miss out on much.

Always the possibility to tweak the stats to make him strong :whistling: (think Mannimarco Revisited or VG0horror of Dive Rock)

If you want to actually fight the the Gray Prince,don't do the quest.From what i heard from a friend of mine,he didn't know about the quest so he fought the Gray Prince like any other combatant (with difficulty ofc)

chocobo, that idea is fantastic. Instead of a ghost, though, I'd like to see the spirit of Shinji possess the Blue team Gladiator who WAS your friend up until now, and let that gladiator have some serious stats and skill.

Yeah, that makes more sense. In his grief, he would probably welcome a chance at passive revenge like letting Shinji borrow his flesh. He was always a bit of a loose end, anyway.

YES! I LOVE this idea!

Can somebody make it happen?