When Playing Around With The Options In Oblivion (for Performance) Whi

Povuholo

It's just suuuch a shame that most of us have to sacrifice something and can't experience Oblivion in all its glory. I hate vertical sync, but it'll have to go on, and antialiassing off, unfortunately, along with shadows. I do like long viewing distance and also seeing niiiiice textures up really close.

i usually tick the box of anti aliasing, what exactly does that do?

aliasing is when a sprites edges break up, usually when moved into the forground and appearing larger than it was designed for. straight lines, diagonals and curves begin to show their pixels. commonly known as the 'jaggies'

anti-aliasing compensates by producing bordering pixels, of a color between that of the subject and its background, to fill in and smooth out any curves or diagonal lines that may appear jagged.

the effect can be slightly fuzzy up close but at a moderate distance gives the impression of a higher resolution

In layman's terms, it straightens up jagged edges that appear on 3D objects when you look at theme from a different angle, and uses a lot more graphics processing power. Turning it OFF can speed up your framerate.

Oh and btw, I'm not dead.
~ Howlingoak

Old posters don't die, they just fade away...

well I'm going to try and get as much framerate out of this machine as possible for smooth gameplay. I can run FEAR at a decent resolution, but once I get into a firefight the ol pc has a heart attack. That's what I'm really trying to avoid in Oblivion. Nothing ruins a good vibe when you're stuck doing battle and it pauses every five seconds. Pah!

Archived