Voice files

Honeybiscuit

I messed up somewhere and dont know where. I am unable to open my voice files because I asigned the voice file to open with the Fallout3 exe. and it will not change back to what ever opened it originally. Even Oblivions files open with Fallout3. . When I attempt to open voice files it starts game. even in the Onlivion. I even uninstalled both (but not both together) at different times and it reverted back to the mistake. I have vista( if that matters). What is the original program that opens the voice files. I have the Fomm but it doesnt allow me to open the Temp.wav section of custom dialogue. Do I need to uninstall both together (Oblivion & Fallout3) in case there is a link some how. I screwed up majorly and spent alot of hour building The Prison again to only mess up AGAIN :wallbash:

Forgive me if I have misunderstood your problem. But it sounds like your file associations are messed up. Are we talking more than just .wav files here? That is the only type you mentioned. I run XP, but Vista may be similar.

Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) by right clicking on the start button and selecting Explore.

On the toolbar go to Tools and select Folder Options, then click the File Types tab. The list of file type should populate in a few seconds. Scroll down to find wav files and highlight it. The program that is used to open this file type will be displayed. If its Fallout, click the Change button and select a new program to open these file types with (Like Windows Media Player). If you have more sound file types that are doing this find each and change each to the program you want to open it with.

I dont want to open it with just any program thats how I messed up. I am trying to get the program that was origianl before I messed with it in ignorance,lol. Some time you can open a program with the wrong application and permantly damage it or at lest I wasnt able to recover it. Do you know what the original program was that allowed it to be opened freely with out it asking what I want to choose to open it with. That was what got me into this pickel I thought I knew and it will not allow me to open it period by anymeans and I dont know what to do.

Well, on my PC .wav files are associated with Windows Media Player like I said. If you know what the other file types are that you are having problems with, let me know and I'll tell you which program my PC uses. You can't really go wrong the windows media player for all sound files (as long as you have the right codecs installed).

it isnt just the wave. I should have mention its meshes, textures, Misc.bsa all are assciated with the fallout3 exe sorry i had tunnel vision

This may take a bit of time, but just go through that list file type by file type and remove any program associations that use fallout.

That won't hurt your system. It will just prevent you from opening up the associated program when you double click on the file. That is no big deal anyway because most of the time you start the program first. The programs still know which files they use. This is only a windows tool to help users open up programs by clicking on files instead of the program itself. Please, do not worry.

On my PC .dds (textures) are not associated.

BSA files are associated with FOMM

NIF files (meshes) are associated with the GECK, but I never open them with the GECK, I open them with Nifskope.

Just go through them item by item and remove any associations that use the fallout3.exe as the "open with" program and you will be fine. You will still be able to play sounds from any sound programs you have.

thank bro. Im tryin to and songs and spoken dialogue into there like Crow describes in his Radio station did everything and knew this was an issue,lol and cannot import custom sounds into the Temp fold that generates when customise new dialogue.
. I will plug into this,lol. thanks again

yea I have installed so much other software that I dont even wanna do that, like Fruityloops I has God knows how many vst its scary to even think of reinstallin,lol and I dont have a habit of backin up either. A walking time bomb,lol.