The Master Of Zooz

Malchik

OOC> Okay I have waited long enough.

On topic> As you descend, something affects your minds. You have no recollection of what happens but the next thing you know you are in a room where the temperature must be many degrees below freezing. You are all trussed up in ropes.

The room is very large with a balcony surrounding three sides above you and yet there are few people in the room. Six unidentifiable things of black metal - or wearing black metal - are clearly guards. You are facing a throne upon which a figure sits. The figure has the the face of a ten year old girl but is otherwise completely swathed in black cloth.

She speaks in a voice that echoes cavernously around the enormous room.

"Who dares to breach our wards?"

Gnath notices that the magic here is more powerful than ever. Kalmer senses that the figure on the throne is the source of sadness and despair.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Most High Sovereign, as you will notice most of us are not from Bashkher. We have answered a call from the Governor of Papred to investigate a strange new magic which has invaded Bashkher and threatens it’s very survival. We have been commissioned by Governor Bharat Desani to find a way to stop this alien influence. In the course of our quest, it has become apparent that we need the ability to breath water, and it was suggested by an associate that we might find the answer to this in Kolokon, and in particular with the relatives of the Wizards that ruled at one time. Upon entering your fair city, and receiving an invitation to the High City, we learned that there was no access to this Palace, and yet the nature of our quest made it seem imperative that we gain audience with your August Self, and so we embarked on the course of action that has brought us here. On looking back, we are sure there could have been a better way to gain Your attention.” T’skar demurred, eyes downcast as she addressed the person on the throne, “If there is anything else you would like to know - more details, anything, we would be glad to answer any questoins.” And she waited.

The face stares at you for a long time. "Who is this Bharat you speak of? He has no power here. But that does not matter. I can tell you speak the truth. It is hard to care for anywhere else in Bashkher when my powers are spent daily in preventing the city freezing under glaciers. Ironic as I am the cause of the cold. There is a story but it is a long one and you are already blue with cold. I do know a spell to breathe in water but alas I cannot teach it to you. If I so much as move, the cold creeps closer to the city. Were I to move enough to show you the casting gestures, the High City would be beneath thick ice in seconds. "

For several deeply chilling moments when you wonder if your ears have frozen off she says nothing.

"Several thousand years ago it was prophesied that a child had been born who could remove the shard of ice within me. His name was said to be Auriel. If he is not a figment of some madwoman's imagination and he yet lives you will find him on a small island off the south coast of Bashkher near one of the great cities. The prophesy said that I would never find him and in truth I have tried and failed many times. He must come to me. Those I send never return, so I fear the journey must be fraught with hazard. There are only four cities the prophesy can mean and my sources tell me that Tangrik has no islands. So he will be near Lopor, Memtuz or Selma. If you can find the child and persuade him to come here I will willingly teach you that spell and much more besides. There are representatives of all cities here. My guards will grant you the privilege of one further day in the High City. More and it will draw unwanted attention. Were I free of my father's curse I could move you to any city in Bashkher you wished to visit using the power of the wind. I do not know your priorities but perhaps that would be an advantage to you? I am afraid that a trip to the southern cities is very long and you may wish to visit other places on the way. I will be here when you return. I am here forever."

Only the eyes and mouth of the girl have moved while you have been watching her. Her despair is so great it brings tears to the eyes of all but the most hard hearted.

"Ah, such a burden, and yet such great care as well. You could just leave the city and allow it to freeze, and yet you continue in this battle," T'skar laments, "There is one question that comes to mind though. Who is the girl that appears in the window every ten years? Is it not you?"

"By saving a tiny amount of power each day I can comserve enough to show myself at that window." The girl's eyes indicate the window to her left. "Otherwise people might cease to believe in me at all."

Kalmer is troubled to see the girl in such a way, and he thinks back to Tagfier and his daughter Keowen. A tear does indeed come to his eye.

"You say your father's curse," he says to the girl. "Do you mean to say that this burden has been passed down to you? How did all this come to pass?"

"I will tell you the outline for I am afraid you are developing frostbite. My father's unnatural lusts led to his attack on me. My mother heard my screams and refused to look the other way. He was a weather mage of terrible power and he placed this curse on me for daring to deny him. My mother was an Air mage of equal power. Their magical battle destroyed everything; themselves, my brothers and sisters, where we lived. How I survived I do not know but I did with a few others. When we started to try to move that was when I learned what my father's curse had done to me. They saw their lives were dependent on keeping me still and slowly over thousands of years Kolokon has become what it is today. It has taught me the meaning of patience."

There is the faintest flicker of an ironical smile across the girl's lips.

"If you would know more, return with the Child of Healing. Do not underestimate what this cold is doing to you!"

With concern on his face Tiax looks away from the girl and to the group. "He is right, we cannot stay here any longer. We should leave do we wish to do anything about this curse and the one we came for."

Tiax turns towards the girl again. Tiax is most concerned, about all of this and mutters; "A powerfull mage indeed" While he began walking towards the exit, backwards.

"Perhaps one last thing, why is magic blocked in the rest of the city? Is it out of fear of something like this happening again? Or are there more specific reasons?"

Kalmer pauses to hear the girl's answer to Tiax. ooc> if any. If none, he continues:

ic> "We must leave." Says Kalmer, trying to rub warmth into his arms. "Perhaps our gracious host may know something about this Auriel. Make haste!" He turns back to the girl. "What is your name, child? Fear not, for we will bring the Child of Healing to you and end this suffering." He pauses a moment and stares for a moment at her, saddened and sickened at the thought of such a terrible tale...

"My name is Ocaranda. We have wards against any magic in the rest of Kolokon for fear it might inadvertantly damage me and bring death to the whole city. In this palace some magic is possible although much will not work and I know at once if it is used. As with you.... But I must keep vigilant. There was that fool a while ago who believed he could drain the secrets of youth from the brains of children. He was killed by a boy he was using in his experiments. A very powerful magic using boy who managed to escape even my defences. The boy made the wizard kill himself by jumping from a high window. The wizard was decapitated in the process. But all the evidence I have gleaned suggests the boy was bound at the time. His tongue had been cut out and wires drilled into his brain. Yet he forced the mage to jump. Such magic! The boy's name was Riff. I hope he never comes here again!"

She looks at you worriedly.

"Riff is not part of your quest. Go now and return with the Child of Healing. Then perhaps we can talk safely."

Archived