The Master Of Zooz

Malchik

"Your Grandfather? What a grand idea. I'll bet he would have all kinds of information on this area. Did you say the Laughing Camel was run by your family? Is that where we can meet your Grandfather? If so, lead on Guide." T'skar turns to follow Face as he sets off.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boy nods. "He is staying with us for a few weeks."

The entertainments district, or what you see of it, is comprised of wide boulevards. The main drag, on which you are walking, is lined with shops selling beachwear and accoutrements. The route is parallel to the shoreline. Signs at each road off to the right indicate the various establishments that can be reached. Entertainment clearly caters for every taste.

The old centre is very different. It has the narrow winding paths more typical of other Bashkheri cities. It would be easy to get lost here. You will need to stroll around the area later to get proper bearings.

The Laughing Camel is a three storey construction on one side of a small square. All the other buildings are but two storey. Being fortunate enough to get rooms on the top floor you can see a great deal of the city. Museum Hill and the beach are easy to spot. A black dome some four or five streets north is the Skull Temple.

The boy says, "Please let me know when you wish to meet Grandfather. He is an old man and so retires early."

"We should set down our belongings in our room, and partake of some refreshments." Says Kalmer to his companions. "And by all accounts, we would be wise to stay off the streets for the time being. Now may be a good time to meet your grandfather, young man." He says, turning to Face.

"I will ask him to take his meal while you have your refreshment. It will be served on the ground floor as he cannot climb stairs easily. But then Nikishastra Desai is not an ordinary old man. He claims to be several thousand years old. He's not really my Grandfather of course."

When you have put your belongings away (ooc feel free to talk amongst the group before talking to the old man) you go down. A girl is waiting to take your order. An ancient man as bent and shrivelled as any you have ever seen is soaking bread in broth and slurping it noisily.

His initial words are rather sprayed at you. "Upstarts. Parvenus."

(ooc> While unpacking)

ic>

"So this grandfather is Nikishastra himself!" Exclaims Kalmer in a hushed tone, as they unpack their belongings in the meagre lodgings. "This sounds almost too easy. We have to ask him about the the lost city of Akitaron and the sword that allegedly lies there. He may also know about the sword that is here in Ippikander. Anybody else have any ideas? We should head downstairs."

(ooc> after exchanging any ideas, the group head down to meet Nikishastra.)

ic>

On entering the dining area they are greeted by a serving girl, and she takes their order. Kalmer performs his usual slight inclinaion as a sign of courtesy to the old mage, saying, "Good evening, master Nikishastra, and good appetite. We hope we are not disturbing you this mealtime."

OOC -> It seems that my PC is starting to hate this site.. I'm now at a school comp but I have to go..... I just thought to let you huys know that I'm still here but I have some troubles to get online.

"According to a great mage we met near Golconar," say Kalmer to Aldhelm, "Nikishastra is an even more imprtant mage, whose field of expertise is the ruined city of Akitaron. In Akitaron there is said to be one of the Swords of Zooz, although some think this to be mere legend. If anyone can confirm this or at least give us some indication as to its veracity, it is he."

"Huh! I thought you wanted me to tell you about that wretched Sagrami family. The sword, is it? It is a very long story but before I begin I will correct a misunderstanding. The sword is NOT at Akitaron. At least it has never been discovered. It was last heard of in Akitaron."

Nikishastra looks at you. "I will not have the energy to tell you everything in one go. I will need to tell you of the Knights of Zooz, the story of Zander, the abandonment of Akitaron. I will begin with the tale of the knights. After that you may have other questions that are more important today. I will pick up on the story of Zander tomorrow."

He stops to finish his broth then continues.

"Long ago, there lived a mage Prosthesis. He had come from El Rhun complaining that he was treated as if he was nothing more than an unwanted spare limb. He found his way to Zooz where he decided to establish an order of study designed to identify evil. Of course this greatly appealed to a number of cranks and crackpots as every 'religion' does and he soon had his order. Poor old Prosthesis who had always been a little odd, now began to hear voices telling him that they should be rooting out the evil they identified. A few of his supporters drifted away but eight remained loyal. And so the Order of the Knights of Zooz began."

There is a dry humour in Nikishastra's voice indicating he finds the tale amusing or perhaps ironic.

"He gave each knight a sword made by the local weapon smith. At the time he was not dubbed master, that happened long after he was dead. But almost immediately the group began to dispute what 'evil' meant. It is of course a word capable of infinite definitions. The group broke up with each knight setting out to right their view of what was evil. As time went by they died of disease or were killed and the swords changed hands. In a very few cases the complete subsequent history of each sword is known. One knight seems to have had a very particular dislike of mages who dabbled in attempts to find eternal life. He sought in particular to destroy a man named Zander. His journey took him to Akitaron. By chance I was also there at the time. I never met the knight. His corpse and his diary were found when the city was abandoned. This is how we know so much about the order and the sword. The sword was at Akitaron, as was Zander. Neither has been seen since."

He grunts. "I knew Zander and he was certainly an evil man. But his tale is for another day. I can probably manage a few more minutes if there is anything else you need today."

"I suppose we should learn anything you can tell us about the Sagrami family, and in particular Arminder Sagrami before you retire, as I think the rest of our day may be spent that way." T'skar poses.

Archived