Modding Critical Hits

Soulforged

Hi, I've recently been trying to modify the power of criticals, I wish I could have more information on how they work, but I don't, therefore I'm currently searching through the scripts, since critical factors are all in them and not associated directly to a weapon (except for the occurance change).

On one script, namely: core_h, there's a constant:

const float COMBAT_CRITICAL_DAMAGE_MODIFIER = 4.5f; // critical hits increase damage by up to this factor.

For what I've seen this value is used to calculate the critical multiplier (since the multiplier itself seems to be the result of a calculation).

If anyone goes to the file in question you will notice that the only thing I did was modify that constant value, from 1.5f to 4.5f. Then I fetched the ability_core script and compiled it. I proceeded to gather all the scripts exported to toolexports in the override and erased the ones I didn't need. Then I moved the remaining scripts to the override folder (I don't know if this is necessary).

I expected this to work, but as anyone can guess by the title the change in the script did not affect anything inside the game, or at least that's what it seems. To test its effects I chose a dalish elf rogue and proceeded to backstab the first wolves I encountered, but the damage never surpassed the 12 points, which is nowhere near the result I expected.

The question here is if someone tried to mess with the criticals and had any success, or if someone knows if I did something wrong in the process of deployment.

Salutes.

Topic moved to more appropriate forum. -myrmaad

Edited by myrmaad

Ok, I got it to work, it was easier than I first imagined. It seems that the developers did a fine job getting engine concerns relaxed by externalizing certain properties to "properties.gda".

Instead of working with scripts, which in fact achieves nothing, one should touch that file (of course working with the XLS version). It appears that contrary to what the wiki says in http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/i...hp/Combat_Rules the critical multiplier is still a ranged attribute, and the only way for it to work as a constant is to put the lower bound and the upper bound to the same level.

On another note I also got to nullify the regeneration rate by modifying that file.

Kudos to the developers right there, and I should have read the wiki earlier.

• 5 years later...

Ok, I got it to work, it was easier than I first imagined. It seems that the developers did a fine job getting engine concerns relaxed by externalizing certain properties to "properties.gda".

Instead of working with scripts, which in fact achieves nothing, one should touch that file (of course working with the XLS version). It appears that contrary to what the wiki says in http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/i...hp/Combat_Rules the critical multiplier is still a ranged attribute, and the only way for it to work as a constant is to put the lower bound and the upper bound to the same level.

On another note I also got to nullify the regeneration rate by modifying that file.

Kudos to the developers right there, and I should have read the wiki earlier.

? Im looking at properties.xls now and the critical damage modifier isnt in there, the only thing there is CriticalRange, which just seems to have a min of 0 and a max of 200, and nothing else...