ESRB ratings

antonkr

Call of Duty is supposed to be simulating realistic combat in a real war.

Perfect Dark is pure fantasy - it takes place in the future, the weapons are high tech, and therefore the violence is not supported by reality.

Of course, I would disagree with that logic. I'm only stating what I think the ESRB uses to rate games.

I find it offensive that a game about real war is somehow okay for younger people. If I had kids, I wouldn't let them play "real war" games. Oblivion, Perfect Dark, Doom, those are fantasy.

Oh, and Oblivion is not rated M for Mature because you can mod it to be gorier. It was actually rated M because a hanging corpse in the Imperial Sewer vampire den was not shown clearly enough to the ratings board in the demo. When they saw a closer shot of it, they changed it to M.

In other words, it's the Zombies that make Oblivion M for Mature. Vanilla Oblivion is not gory at all, except for that.

You forgot the topless females mesh included in the BSA file of vanilla Oblivion (though I think they removed it in later releases of the game).

And going on with what you said, you could argue something like the events of CoD3 are true to a certain extent, but certain things are altered from the reality some. I wouldn't be surprised if a good deal of the characters (probably not all), are fictional.

Whereas, you could argue things like the events in Perfect Dark Zero are possible outcomes of progressing events of today's society. Things that could happen if our current world status doesn't change.

Ah, by the way, why does the ESRB not even bother generally to play the game, but rather base their ratings on a movie they are sent by the gaming company only? I smell something fishy going on here...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't see how they'd not gain money by playing it and then rating it afterwards based on their experience...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect Dark is pure fantasy - it takes place in the future, the weapons are high tech, and therefore the violence is not supported by reality.

Of course, I would disagree with that logic. I'm only stating what I think the ESRB uses to rate games.

I find it offensive that a game about real war is somehow okay for younger people. If I had kids, I wouldn't let them play "real war" games. Oblivion, Perfect Dark, Doom, those are fantasy.

Oh, and Oblivion is not rated M for Mature because you can mod it to be gorier. It was actually rated M because a hanging corpse in the Imperial Sewer vampire den was not shown clearly enough to the ratings board in the demo. When they saw a closer shot of it, they changed it to M.

In other words, it's the Zombies that make Oblivion M for Mature. Vanilla Oblivion is not gory at all, except for that.

You forgot the topless females mesh included in the BSA file of vanilla Oblivion (though I think they removed it in later releases of the game).

And going on with what you said, you could argue something like the events of CoD3 are true to a certain extent, but certain things are altered from the reality some. I wouldn't be surprised if a good deal of the characters (probably not all), are fictional.

Whereas, you could argue things like the events in Perfect Dark Zero are possible outcomes of progressing events of today's society. Things that could happen if our current world status doesn't change.

Ah, by the way, why does the ESRB not even bother generally to play the game, but rather base their ratings on a movie they are sent by the gaming company only? I smell something fishy going on here...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't see how they'd not gain money by playing it and then rating it afterwards based on their experience...

The rtards dont pay people to play the games saving $$$$$$ alot of games come out every year and i would love to test games for a living but you cant so :wallbash:

$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$

The rtards dont pay people to play the games saving $$$ alot of games come out every year and i would love to test games for a living but you cant so :wallbash:

If they volunteer there time to do something like rate games (if they aren't paid that is), then they ought to be doing their job fully. They shouldn't do it if they don't wish to do it thoroughly.

Hi,

Just in case you haven't noticed, all the regular adults have not responded to this post likely due to the naive perspective of the opponents to 'censorship'. It's a perspective of observation and learning, it comes with maturity. If you believe that participation by proxy in these activities is benign, you are mistaken. Most teenagers think they have it all figured out, when it's the farthest thing from the truth. Unfortunately there are so many incompetent parents these days that allow their own apathy and selfishness to superceed responsibility to their children and society. Sad and disturbing.

FYI - True personal empowerment comes from attributes such as honor, integrity, empathy, self control, compassion...

If you are going to pursue 'the way of the warrior': Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu Iaijutsu is the human(e) perspective.

I would recommend truly researching Masayuki Shimabukuro, there's a book: FLASHING STEEL, read it.

No links intentional, it's a litmus test.

Oops, that's right. God forbid teenagers be shown breasts, especially girls who are growing them! :rolleyes:

As for something fishy going on if they only watch a video: They must do more than that if they knew there was a topless mesh in the BSA file.

The problem with "real war" games is precisely that they alter reality some. They present a war that is known to be real in the player's mind, as a fun action game where one side is good or evil. Can you play as American soldiers raping Iraqi women and burning their families alive? What about dropping bombs on civilian neighborhoods on purpose to strike fear? (You know, terrorism?) If not, can you at least hear about it happening, or punish the ones who do it? No? That's not very real then. If yes, then I tip my hat to the designers.

As for Perfect Dark Zero being progressing events, that's still fantasy as we don't really know what will happen.

Fantasy games can get away with not showing the ugly side of war, because they're just fantasy and you can even make the far-fetched claim that the ugly side isn't really happening in the fantasy fighting. Presenting a real war without the ugliness is to pretend it doesn't matter. Those games should be rated M simply for being based on a real war. Theoretically, teenagers would play those games and think war is all fun and games and want to join the military. It's propaganda. Older people, again theoretically, would know better, and if they want to join the army they would do it with the full gravity of it in mind. I know, it's a big theoretical, but that's what ratings are based on.

In reality of course, there are sheep of any age, and there are people are go against the grain of any age, which is why ratings only really serve to inform the consumer of content whether they listen or not.

i would love to test games for a living but you cant so :wallbash:

Ah, I see this statement from time to time, usually from young people such as yourself.

No, you wouldn't. Game testing is not anything like game playing. Game testing is stuff like run around the walls of Imperial City for 12 hours, bumping into every polygon and making sure you don't go through. Then keep strict journals of everything unexpected that happened.

It would take too long. Especially with Oblivion. They'd need to hire more raters.

Hi,

Just in case you haven't noticed, all the regular adults have not responded to this post likely due to the naive perspective of the opponents to 'censorship'. It's a perspective of observation and learning, it comes with maturity. If you believe that participation by proxy in these activities is benign, you are mistaken. Most teenagers think they have it all figured out, when it's the farthest thing from the truth. Unfortunately there are so many incompetent parents these days that allow their own apathy and selfishness to superceed responsibility to their children and society. Sad and disturbing.

I agree, but please. I'm a regular, and an adult. 29 years old, live in my own place, work for a living. You know, adult stuff.

Oops, that's right. God forbid teenagers be shown breasts, especially girls who are growing them! :rolleyes:

As for something fishy going on if they only watch a video: They must do more than that if they knew there was a topless mesh in the BSA file.

The problem with "real war" games is precisely that they alter reality some. They present a war that is known to be real in the player's mind, as a fun action game where one side is good or evil. Can you play as American soldiers raping Iraqi women and burning their families alive? What about dropping bombs on civilian neighborhoods on purpose to strike fear? (You know, terrorism?) If not, can you at least hear about it happening, or punish the ones who do it? No? That's not very real then. If yes, then I tip my hat to the designers.

As for Perfect Dark Zero being progressing events, that's still fantasy as we don't really know what will happen.

Fantasy games can get away with not showing the ugly side of war, because they're just fantasy and you can even make the far-fetched claim that the ugly side isn't really happening in the fantasy fighting. Presenting a real war without the ugliness is to pretend it doesn't matter. Those games should be rated M simply for being based on a real war. Theoretically, teenagers would play those games and think war is all fun and games and want to join the military. It's propaganda. Older people, again theoretically, would know better, and if they want to join the army they would do it with the full gravity of it in mind. I know, it's a big theoretical, but that's what ratings are based on.

In reality of course, there are sheep of any age, and there are people are go against the grain of any age, which is why ratings only really serve to inform the consumer of content whether they listen or not.

Ah, I see this statement from time to time, usually from young people such as yourself.

No, you wouldn't. Game testing is not anything like game playing. Game testing is stuff like run around the walls of Imperial City for 12 hours, bumping into every polygon and making sure you don't go through. Then keep strict journals of everything unexpected that happened.

It would take too long. Especially with Oblivion. They'd need to hire more raters.

Hi,

I agree, but please. I'm a regular, and an adult. 29 years old, live in my own place, work for a living. You know, adult stuff.

Hi,

With all due restraint:

At 29 you're not even close to being mature, either, regardless of your seeming literal extravagances. The bottom line is that your perspective is self-serving and part of the problem, not the solution. It's all about quality not quantity in the real world. You must keep the company of fools to believe that age doesn't garner wisdom and knowledge. Someone forgot to tell you that this is real power. Any real role models?

-'big theoretical' You must be kidding or obviously a product of your environment.

This misinformation you're spewing is apparently also product of a bloated ego with no real life experience. As benign as it may seem...

What is fundamental to all developing youths is real world experiences, not false unaccountable ones by proxy.

True Highlander:

Wow, I thought I was arrogant on these boards.

My biggest "real role model" is Carl Sagan.

After that I would have to list Stephen Hawking, Michio Kaku, Rudy Rucker, and Neal Stephenson.

Allow me to translate that whole "big theoretical" part.

Young teenagers, who don't have life experience, playing a video game that makes a real war that people actually fought and died in look fun, are going to think war is glamorous.

An older person is going to view such a game in a different light having had a life experience that brings wisdom and "real power".

Therefore the real war game should be rated M because teenagers aren't mature enough to fully understand it yet.

I said big theoretical only because I know there are exceptions to the rule. Some young kids are ahead of their time and some adults behind it. It's a "big theoretical" to say "in theory such and such is going to be right."

That's my argument. By all means refute it if you like. Unless you're too adult to bother, in which case why are you even looking at this?

I always seem to run into people like you on the internet. Sometimes in person, and we butt heads for a while and then laugh about it over beers. Claiming to tell how mature or intelligent someone is just by their posts, never thinking that maybe I write a certain way because it's part tongue in cheek and in fun. You're right about one thing, I do have a bloated ego, but I'm not the only one. Also, that's not the point. Don't attack me. Attack my argument.

So I'm spewing self serving misinformation? Why don't you illustrate how instead of pointing me to some books and then attacking me personally? Are you going to criticize the thread or participate?

I almost reported you for flaming, but decided it was too childish to tattletale and prove you right. However, I'm not in the mood for another s__t-sling on the internet. I've gotten into too many of them over the years.

Young teenagers, who don't have life experience, playing a video game that makes a real war that people actually fought and died in look fun, are going to think war is glamorous.

An older person is going to view such a game in a different light having had a life experience that brings wisdom and "real power".

Therefore the real war game should be rated M because teenagers aren't mature enough to fully understand it yet.

I said big theoretical only because I know there are exceptions to the rule. Some young kids are ahead of their time and some adults behind it. It's a "big theoretical" to say "in theory such and such is going to be right."

Wise words indeed. Kudo to you. I´m 53, and would never install a wargame on my computer. It simply makes real war look like a Disney film. If you ask me, it should not even be produced at all. I find it hard and immorale to have an amusement industry making good money on thousands of unhappy tragedies. Those who survived are still in a posttraumatic stress, while other are "intertained". Some can understand this, adult or teenager, but when we lower the codex of morale, it gets difficult to see the difference between "intertainment" and "the real thing". I am not a shrink, but i am shure that it´s not a healthy situation.

Quick question why are you "adults" playing games when you should have jobs and be working to pay for food and rent im 12 i have a reason to play them i cant get a job thats why it just something to pass the time

(if you were offended sorry just askin questions)