Program Files Folder Issue

CorenYi

Ok, so this is my question: What is the problem with running FO3 in the Program Files Folder? I have been running it for around a year now, am running many mods, and the only problem that I have EVER had is when I forgot to toggle invalidation after installing the Nightvision(Powered) mod.

So what's the big deal? Why's it so taboo to run it in there? Are people just too simple to tell Vista to run the program as administrator? Not meaning to be insulting, I'm just genuinely curious as to the problem.

WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL NOOBS!

GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE!

Seariously,

All the stuff you have to learn an find out to do the fallout 3 thing

an you want to know why the experienced noobs put fallout in C:/bethesda

instead of C:/program files/bethesda?

Well alright then, let's explore it.

1. Windows puts security risks on things inside program files.

2.Program files is in a part of the hard drive surrounded by only 100 or so other programs an data soup.

3. Know Idea, but #3 is really really important

Be Gentile Machine we all were noobs once. Im still one. I have all my stuff still in C . So how do I fix it and where to put it ,How and why.LOL :wallbash:

So what's the big deal? Why's it so taboo to run it in there? Are people just too simple to tell Vista to run the program as administrator? Not meaning to be insulting, I'm just genuinely curious as to the problem.

Simple?

Is that like posting a mildly inflammatory question on a forum instead of Googling an answer to a question that has been thoroughly documented and discussed in order to satisfy your curiousity?

Fallout 3 uses Windows Live, right? Many people stay connected to the internet at all times with their broadband connections, even if they are not logged into a browser and don't think about the open door. Seems like there was some risk involved with being logged into the net while running as an administrator instead of a non-administrator account. Was it the potential risk of giving hackbots searching for open nodes complete administrative access to your computer? I don't remember. Probably not important anyway.

What is the problem with running FO3 in the Program Files Folder?

Aside from the festering security hole from running FO3 as Administrator, there are a number of other issues. If you plan on using modding tools, such as FOMM, GECK or FO3Edit, they will also need to run as Administrators to be able to modify or add files in your Fallout 3 directory. Many people has been having problems with saved files being placed in virtual storage, causing mods files to be "invisible" or seem to "dissapear". Yes, you can fix most of them by running your modding programs as Administrator, but the more secure, easy and convenient solution is to install the game to a place outside of the Program Files directory.

There is no taboo on this. It has been discussed extensively, and the arguments for it have been repeated ad nauseam. The top google link when searching for fallout program files is quite right in asserting that this is due to shoddy code standards on the part of Bethesda. The TES Construction Set wiki has an article on the issue that also applies to Fallout 3 and GECK. The closest similar article I could find on the GECK wiki is not good enough.

Well, thanks for the information, though not for the attitude. Now I know.

"Are people just too simple to tell Vista to run the program as administrator?"

Got to be careful about the tone that you set concerning perceived attitude, or the chickens come home to roost.

• 3 weeks later...