Female Only armor change to allow Male use?

MWguitarist

Okay SO I recently came across some armor from a mod, and it is amazing for my Inquisitor Character in Oblivion, now the only problem is, its female only. Damn. Not that I dont play female characters, but generally most of my characters are male.

Now, when I equip this armor to my male character, nothing shows up obviously and the whole body ingame besides the head, is a giant ! mark. Okay so I posted a request for someone with a bit more experience than me to see if they could change the armor type so males could wear it as well. Then i thought, well while I wait, why dont I give it a shot, so here is what I am thinking and if someone could direct me on the right track, or would like to help me with this slight change in the mod it would be much appreciated.

So, so far I am thinking

Do I just upload the Armor pieces, take for example the chest piece into blender? Then just delete the already put in skeleton which would be for female, and replace it for the male one? Some how it doesnt seem that simple, but maybe it is. Now with this take care of the various womanly features? (Like boobs and cleavage obviously.) This is the only part where I am stuck for now. Anyone have any ideas?

Do I just upload the Armor pieces, take for example the chest piece into blender? Then just delete the already put in skeleton which would be for female, and replace it for the male one? Some how it doesnt seem that simple, but maybe it is. Now with this take care of the various womanly features? (Like boobs and cleavage obviously.) This is the only part where I am stuck for now. Anyone have any ideas?

Nothing anywhere near that simple.

To make the armor have a male appearance, you would need an entirely new mesh or spend a fair amount of time adjusting the existing mesh to look male. Both can take quite alot of time, and requires a fair to high amount of skill with that program to know how to make, alter, and weight that mesh. Even when done right there are often issues with gaps between mesh pieces due to how the mesh is broken. This is why there aren't many male conversions out there that don't look completely different.

That said, there isn't anything technical to prevent you from linking a female mesh to use the male slot, you'll just have a male character that has a female body. Depending on the appearance of the armor this may or may not be a major concern.

Okay SO I recently came across some armor from a mod, and it is amazing for my Inquisitor Character in Oblivion, now the only problem is, its female only. Damn. Not that I dont play female characters, but generally most of my characters are male.

Now, when I equip this armor to my male character, nothing shows up obviously and the whole body ingame besides the head, is a giant ! mark. Okay so I posted a request for someone with a bit more experience than me to see if they could change the armor type so males could wear it as well. Then i thought, well while I wait, why dont I give it a shot, so here is what I am thinking and if someone could direct me on the right track, or would like to help me with this slight change in the mod it would be much appreciated.

So, so far I am thinking

The skeleton's the same for both male and female in Oblivion, (there is no "male" skeleton or "female" skeleton.)

Sorry buckaroo. It's much more difficult than that. You'll have to smoosh down the boobs, and and broaden the waist and most likely many other adjustments. This is why many people don't do this work.

Nivea and Slof do some conversions, female to male, and there are others who are on a learning curve who may have time or inclination to help. It would have been thoughtful of you to include the link to the armor you're interested in. In oblivion when you equip an armor, you also equip the body part. the mesh incorporates the clothing and body in one piece most often, and when that's not the case, you can get much clipping problems if you attempt to use a different body then the one it was made for.

Ah I see, yeah I knew it wouldn't be so simple. I am willing to put in the time and the work just needed a little bit of advice really on the armor. So, i would take this model in to say blender, smash down the boobs and broaden the shoulders and chest, basically making everything more manly? Is there a way to have a sort of layout of a male mesh so I can match it up in places and fix it up afterward?

here is the picture of the armor and the link to the mod it came from.

http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16417

http://tesnexus.com/downloads/images/16417-1-1260933242.jpg

Yeah, I actually found your other post.

I personally, would do this very differently if it were me doing it.

First, I'd figure out what exactly it is about that outfit that I think makes it so appealing.

Then I'd find existing male meshes that actually have a similar shape to the pieces that I love.

There are three or so elements to that armor, for example.

There is the chainmale "skin", which is a simple re-texture job that can be done using the Roberts male body quite easily, you don't even have to find a pair of pants or a turtleneck for that piece of the puzzle.

I would look for a turtleneck style Roberts male shirt, (because i know I already have one) for that piece. I would steal the pauldrons and gloves right off that female version and stick them on, the gloves are super masculine anyway and the pauldrons are gender-neutral

Then find a cuirass that suits you, it's easy to cut pieces off in blender if you wanted it to be a midriff like hers.

And I'd handle the low body the same way, (I personally cannot abide any armor, male or female, with a loin cloth!) but you could find any suitable loincloth, probably even steal hers from that mod, and stick them on Robert's male bottom that you've made the chainmale skin for, attach some existing belt etc.

It's a challenge but all do-able if you have the time and drive to do it.

I like that outfit and if I had time I would make something like it for my male character, but no loin cloth. *skeeevs me out just thinking of that*.

Ah wow yeah your way is a bit easier to work with, not so much being easy by the work but a lot different than I would have thought.

I think I will give it a shot, just gotta find all the pieces. Ill do some experimenting and see if I can come up with something.

And yeah the Loin cloth thing doesnt bother me so much :biggrin: I just like the armor a lot.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for all the questions, if I have more can I just send a pm instead of posting in this topic? Or would that be to much?

Ah wow yeah your way is a bit easier to work with, not so much being easy by the work but a lot different than I would have thought.

I think I will give it a shot, just gotta find all the pieces. Ill do some experimenting and see if I can come up with something.

And yeah the Loin cloth thing doesnt bother me so much :biggrin: I just like the armor a lot.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for all the questions, if I have more can I just send a pm instead of posting in this topic? Or would that be to much?

I don't mind questions at all, but I would much prefer using the forum rather than PM because we are not the only would-be modders here. I estimate that 80 percent or more of people who use mods, will eventually attempt to try it themselves one way or another. Everything we share can be added to by others more experienced then either of us, and our learning adventures/misadventures can benefit those who come after us.

Edited by myrmaad

Okay.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on what diff types of meshes and things to combine with the certain parts of the current Inquisitor Armor. I think ill attempt what you were saying myrmaad.

If you get stuck at any point or can't find something, just shout, if I don't see it, or reply, you can send a PM too, and I'll come back. I'm getting too old to remember things off the top of my head anymore.

Look through the meshes for Slof's Blue Jeans (which has t-shirts), they are midriff I believe but I easily converted them to waist length just by tweaking the textures.

Look through Kikai and Slof's mens wear mod for tight jeans that you can use for the legs.

Look through Apachii's mens' store, I forget the name of it, a very nice mod.

And finally look through Leviathan's armory. There's a chainmail suit that would be a nice base, in that, I think. I love that, you'll notice I posted all the screens for it.

You can also take Roberts Male low body and duplicate it in blender make the whole thing slightly bigger, There's an easy single selection command for this; and then mash down and snip the man stuff OR

you can use Robert's Male underwear but that can be more challenging as you'll have to figure out how to change it so all the material is the same.

After that, open in nifskope change the material from Skin to chainmale or something anything but skin.. or else oblivion will force a skin texture rather than a clothing texture. And save etc.

Of course blendering makes everything more difficult which is why learning Nifskopery would be good to begin with. You can accomplish great things with nifskope and some photoshop, gimp or any good paint program.

Using the original textures from the StarX's mod to create the textures. You will have to tweak them to work correctly. Experiment and have fun.

Everything you do is only for your own use, UNLESS you get permissions from all those you've borrowed from prior to sharing or uploading anywhere, including here.

Google "nifskopery" and "blender tutorial", and I will try to come back with links for those as well, especially if you keep us posted on your progress.

You may need some tips for texturing once you've started assembling your armor.

Good luck, you're going to do fine if you stick with it.

Edited by myrmaad

All right sounds good, I am going to def. post my progress on this and work on it, ill have to brush up on some of the nifskopery and blender things but Im sure I can do it. Hopefully with all the free time I will have in the future.

And yes, I have planned this only to be a personal thing, didnt plan to upload without permission just more of a personal goal.