Questions about machinima mods

tipul_verde

I'm..."trying to" make machinima with the aid of Fallout, since it's like my favourite game and I think it can offer much. All my work on film-making has gone pretty well until now.

I've used the following mods:

Fellout

MMM

RTS

Groovatron

and some small ones that tweaked minor visuals, can't remember them

The landscapes are nice, the game offeres some pretty cinematic moments, and it alll looks pretty real. But I have reached the moment when dialogue is necessary and my actor look stupid with voices simply coming out of their head. I just can't get my characters to move their lips. :wallbash:

I'm using Groovatron. Either by Groovy Snacks, Groovatron Gun, or by keyboard...ehmm key, everything is the same. I use it(any of the three) a menu shows up. I choose what letter to spell. It does it for a fraction of a second and stops.

I have seen it in videos on Youtube, for example, actions performed without menus, console or whatever, like it was timed or pre-scripted.

It would be great if let's say, I could program a targeted NPC to do something after a given time or perform a list of actions, in a more cinematic way (without menus, UI, etc).

Or, in the same manner, I could target an NPC, and after I got a good view, I could press a key on the keyboard and the person moves his lips, as long as I press it.

Or if I press some keys on the numpad, the NPC would, I don;t know, nod his head, wave his hand, turn to the side, do something, you know.

All this in a more cinematic way.

I have seen some of these on various videos.

Now you tell me. I there a method or some mod that will do these, or was I just hallucinating and should get help? :confused:

I have made videos like the ones that you describe, but I haven't used the Groovatron mod to make them, so I can't advise about that. I used an older than current version of the TES Construction Set to create lip synch files and then scripted all of the interactions between NPCs and player/camera with the GECK. That, along with Fraps and video editing, allowed me to give the illusion of something like spontaneous interactions.

If the Groovatron can do something similar then I would be interested too. But I know that the GECK and the currently available download of TES CS cannot create lipsynch files, so I would be surprised if the Groovatron mod could do it.

Well, the Groovatron is based on making people do longer actions and stuff, like dancing, jumping, eating, or doing push-ups, that kind of thing. The "moving of the lips part" is very crude, but from what I've seen in the mod, I guess the individual animations could could be somehow binded to certain keys without the need of those nasty menus. Too bad I can barely open an .esm in GECK. :wacko:

Well, the Groovatron is based on making people do longer actions and stuff, like dancing, jumping, eating, or doing push-ups, that kind of thing. The "moving of the lips part" is very crude, but from what I've seen in the mod, I guess the individual animations could could be somehow binded to certain keys without the need of those nasty menus. Too bad I can barely open an .esm in GECK. :wacko:

You cannot open an .esm in the GECK to edit it, but you can load one (like Fallout3.esm) to use as a masterfile that your .esp plug-in can use as a starting point.

If you were able to bind mouth movements to keys with the GECK then I would think that you would have to play your keyboard like a piano to make it look like continuous speech. I'm not sure how natural it would look or whether you would be able to manipulate the other facial planes on an NPC's head that give the appearance of emotion. I'd rather let the automatic processes of the CS and GECK do the work.