Exceedingly ugly 'phantom trees'.

RideTheCatfish

Currently working on a landscape mod in the GECK, and I've noticed that whenever I test run it in the game itself, these weird 'phantom trees' start showing up. They're dark brown, really pixellated and you can walk right through them. Some of them are even floating around above the ground, and it's driving me nuts because I can't seem to see them in GECK.

What in the hell are these things? How can I get rid of them?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/KupoKupoKupo_bucket/ScreenShot1-2.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/KupoKupoKupo_bucket/ScreenShot0-1.jpg

Those are tree LOD objects. LOD, if you are not familiar with the term, are the low resolution objectss that are paired with the high resolution trees, buildings and landforms in the Wasteland. When you are close to the object you should see the high rez version of it, but as you get farther away you get to a point where the high rez object is disabled and the low resolution object is enabled. It is a process that is intended to lessen the computing power necessary to render outdoor scenes. LOD objects have no collision data, so that is why you can walk through them. You should never see them at close range, so they don't need collision data.

If you move trees in the Wasteland then the LOD image will stay in the original location until you update tree LODs. You can find that command listed when you click "World LOD" under the World pulldown menu of the GECK.

If you delete trees that are in your way rather than move them, then generating tree LOD in that way does not get rid of those "phantom trees" that you see, probably because there is no longer a high rez object for them to reconnect with. I move trees down 1000 units instead of deleting them to get the trees out of my way, along with their LODs.

If you have deleted trees then you will need to undelete them in order to regenerate LODs. You should be able to do that with FO3Edit.

Yes, it will be a pain in the bum. That is one reason that you should not delete vanilla objects when you are modding FO3. It is a bad practice, and what you are seeing is not the worst effect that can result.