tes4edit caused major problems!

theuseless

I just downloaded the f03edit manual, so I will troubleshoot this on my own too, but I'm not sure if I can. I know a bit about the game mechanics, but the tes4edit has a lot of features I just don't understand yet.

I ran tes4edit to clean a mod and clicked oblivion.esm into the order as well. I thought the guide said to load any dependent files, so loaded that one. I followed the auto cleaning guides online and auto cleaned only the plugin file. Now oblivion is all fudged and won't display anything from shivering isles. At all. I have done a complete re-install (down to the registry edits). I ran disk defrag, scanned my HD for viruses (with 3 scanning providers and no they don't all run at the same time). As far as I can tell, I have wiped all traces from my computer and re-installed a fresh, clean copy of oblivion w/ shivering isles (from disk, not bootleg). I run the game and all the SI meshes/textures are gone! When I install and run the CS, it says that the meshes are missing from pieces that I used 3 days ago. I have loaded every save of my mod and they all are missing every SI mesh, crashing my CS to desktop with error messages. Nothing that I can figure out is fixing this. Please somebody help. I have too much on my computer I don't want to lose and can't afford to back it all up for another 2 weeks. :wallbash:

Ouch man that sounds rough,I may not know a lot about modding oblivion or CS,but I do know a lot about computers how they work,programming ect. and that sounds impossible Im not saying your a liar or anything just the odds of that happening,its probably extremely rare.

When you uninstalled oblivion did you go to Program Files and delete the entire bethesda folder? if not try that next time b4 u install oblivion. If I had to guess off the top of my head I would say Tes4edit (never heard of if) probably made some kind of hidden file to revert to if things go wrong.and that hidden file or files are causing problems.

IDK anything about Tes4edit but next time you reinstall it try to (assuming you have windows xp)open My Documents or any window really it doesn't matter,Click "Tools" then folder options then highlight the view tab under "Show Hidden Files" tick the box and hit apply,now search for any instance of Tes4edit and delete it.Then reinstall Tes4edit...

good luck!! don't give up hope!! :smile:

DO NOT just delete the Bethesda folder, or any of the Oblivion folders. That leaves behind entries in the Windows registry that will prevent you from reinstalling and can cause other problems.

My uninstall/reinstall includes a safe way to clean the registry of all references,and leaves you with a back up of the game files so you should not have to reinstall again. This procedure has been used by hundreds of people with very few problems.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

If you have already deleted the folders. Try this:

Create a new empty folder in the same place as the one you deleted. If you just deleted the Oblivion folder, create it in the Bethesda folder. if you deleted the bethesda folder, create 2 folders, a new bethesda folder, then inside of that, a new Oblivion folder. You don't need to put anything inside. Then run the procedure. - The uninstall on the CD needs to find the oblivion folder in the same place it was originally installed to actually remove the problem registry entries. Then the ccleaner program I recommend will remove the rest of the Oblivion registry entries. Be sure to reboot both before and after running the ccleaner.

In the future, leave the Oblivion.esm out of any Tes4edit cleaning. As I think what Tes4edit did was to remove any references to anything that is not in the original (non Shivering Isles) Oblivion.esm. When you install SI, it patches the Oblivion.esm to include the SI stuff. The native Oblivion, Shivering isles and any DLC should not need be cleaned with the Tes4edit.

DO NOT just delete the Bethesda folder, or any of the Oblivion folders. That leaves behind entries in the Windows registry that will prevent you from reinstalling and can cause other problems.

Yes that's correct,but I said to "Uninstall Oblivion First" ( witch removes the registry entries ) then to delete the bethesda folder...

Just uninstalling Oblivion does not remove all of the registry entries, As I learned the hard way about 3 years ago. If you do a normal uninstall, it removes most, and will allow a normal reinstall. But there are a few that remain, and if one of those is corrupted you will have a problem when you reinstall. Most registry cleaning programs will work. I recommend CCleaner as that is what I use, and my experience is that it is safe and it does find all of the stray Oblivion references. If you feel brave, and lucky you can go through the registry and remove them one at a time. I found over a dozen before being able to play again, but that was before the latest patch, Shivering Isles and all of the DLCs.

First off I followed the advice in the pinned article on re-installing oblivion and followed, to the letter, the instructions. There were some other registry entries that I deleted on top of that article's advice, all pointing at bethesda software.

@ Darthlvlaul:

Thanks for the advice, I enabled hidden files and found a number of files related to oblivion in the prestart folder. This unfortunately didn't help any.

@ BBen

Thanks for the registry cleaner advice. I went through and manually deleted any registry entries that I could find but I'm sure that there must be something left after. Hopefully CCleaner will help. I've been looking for good freeware reg cleaning. I will run the disk cleaner as well, I hadn't thought of doing that. I'm sure that what you have said is true about tes4edit removing files from the oblivion.esm that were updated by SI. It is the only answer that makes sense after reading the manual for the fo3edit (basically the same program). The only thing the manual didn't tell me is how to reverse my particular change. wierd huh? I totally agree with your motto: "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you went after." I think that I can use the tes4edit now safely when I reverse my change.

In general, I'm not too upset. I'm figuring it's either got something to do with a virus I can't detect or I'm an idiot. Maybe my video card or something. In any case, I'm gonna back up anything important and do a wipe as soon as I can. Thank you both for your help and advice, but I think that I'm beyond an easy fix and need to just make a clean install of XP.

Untill then I'll be learning the GECK as it still runs fine,

theuseless

Well, first off sorry for not getting back to this sooner, but the holidays and work have kept me pretty busy lately. The registry cleaner + disk cleanup seems to have worked for me. No need to re-install windows either, its running like new again (thanks to a clean registry).

If I could give you kudos twice, I would bben46. Thanks so much

theuseless