Question about Archive Invalidation

Ryker61

I just recently installed the Wasteland Clothing HD texture pack, which required Archive Invalidation. Now, I've already done the Archive Invalidation step, started the game, and saw that the textures are excellent, so WCHD is working. I saved the game and exited out.

My question is this: I've decided to download the NMC Light Texture pack and do I have to do the Archive invalidation part again?

Edited by Ryker61

Yes, every time you install a texture/mesh that overrides a vanilla texture/mesh its best to do it again. Its super fast and easy to do, so its best to do it rather then run into errors in game.

Yes, every time you install a texture/mesh that overrides a vanilla texture/mesh its best to do it again. Its super fast and easy to do, so its best to do it rather then run into errors in game.

Okay, thanks. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Another question I have is why do mods like NMC's TP and Wasteland Clothing HD require Archive Invalidation when mods like the Weapon Retexture Project and aMidianBorn NV Book of Water (a texture pack for Power and Combat armors) don't require it? I'm not complaining, just curious.

Edited by Ryker61

I truthfully believe they do need it, alot of modders assume you have done your job and read up on modding. Weapon Retexture Project states "You might need some form of archive invalidation to make them appear; I recommend launching your game with Fallout Mod Manager (which you should be using anyways!)"

That's interesting. I did not realize that the WRP required Archive Invalidation. I've used it before without messing with Archive Invalidation and never had problems. I honestly don't recall ever looking at the install instructions. I might have looked at them at one point, but forgot about the AI requirment.

I'm using NMM because it's easier for me to deal with, as everything is in one window, and it's the first MM I started with when I started modding Skyrim. With FOMM, I'd have to have two separate windows open, one to display my load order, the other to allow me to add and remove mods. If I went to launch the game while the second window was open, I'd get a message saying that I needed to close the window before launching the game.

I am currently using FOMM for one mod, and one mod alone, and that's Darnified UI for Fallout 3. For some odd reason, DUI would not install under NMM. And a couple of people on the DUI thread over on the Bethesda forums suggested using FOMM for that, and I decided it was a good idea.

Right now I'm using mods that do nothing more than add weapons and change textures, so I don't need the MM to launch the game, I can still launch the game from Steam. The only times I need the MM to launch the game, is when I'm using mods that require a Script Extender.

Edited by Ryker61

I dont use NMM for FO3/FNV, i do use FOMM as it was made just for the game only if the mod offers FOMM version that is scripted. Really some games run fine without archive invalidation they never need it, BUT then there are games that have issues without archive invalidation and as a modder its in your very very best interest to post install instructions that make it easier on the modder and the mod users.

Which means most mods will state you need archive invalidation, even if you dont think they need it. Its better to say you do then have people not know what to do if the issue comes up.