Is it legal?

theuseless

Is it legal to use textures/meshes from fallout in oblivion and vice versa? can I retexture castle tilesets from oblivion for fo3, or use gates/doors from fallout3 in oblivion?

I tried to read the legal documents (sign this in blood or your soul is ours kinda stuff). I can't find anything in the fine print about cross porting the games. Is it legal 'cause the games are released by the same company? Or is it illegal because you said you wouldn't reverse engineer the games in any way?

Just a thought,

theuseless

Is it legal to use textures/meshes from fallout in oblivion and vice versa? can I retexture castle tilesets for oblivion or use gates/doors from fallout3 in oblivion?

I tried to read the legal documents (sign this in blood or your soul is ours kinda stuff). I can't find anything in the fine print about cross porting the games. Is it legal 'cause the games are released by the same companies? Or is it illegal because you said you wouldn't reverse engineer the games in any way?

Just a thought,

theuseless

Sorry...Its not legal. betshesda does not allow porting between their games.

I presume it would only be legal if you were to make the textures/meshes from one game from scratch then input it in the other game, not taking the meshes/textures from one and putting it in the other, especially if you're going to make it public. Just take the meshes/textures from say FO3, use those as a base to make some of your own, then input that into Oblivion. I'm guessing this is allowed as I see on FO3 Nexus in particular, mods of armor or weapons from other games being used in FO3. However, these are just similar meshes/textures. They're not actually ripped out of the games themselves. Ripping isn't legal.

Before you do anything though, it'd probably be best that you wait a bit longer for the input of others on this topic.

I presume it would only be legal if you were to make the textures/meshes from one game from scratch then input it in the other game, not taking the meshes/textures from one and putting it in the other, especially if you're going to make it public. Just take the meshes/textures from say FO3, use those as a base to make some of your own, then input that into Oblivion. I'm guessing this is allowed as I see on FO3 Nexus in particular, mods of armor or weapons from other games being used in FO3. However, these are just similar meshes/textures. They're not actually ripped out of the games themselves. Ripping isn't legal.

Before you do anything though, it'd probably be best that you wait a bit longer for the input of others on this topic.

Not all... It's allowed to port from STALKER.

Not all... It's allowed to port from STALKER.

I mean at least with this instance. It may be different depending on the game producer

The rules we must go by here:

You Cannot do a direct port or rip from any other game, including any other Bethesda game or DLC.

You can use assets from a DLC made for a particular game only if your mod requires that the DLC the asset came from is required for the mod to work. Even if you do make some changes - such as a retexture.

You can use assets from another game if the owner of the copyright has given some kind of written permission. An email or a statement such as "They said I can " is not good enough unless there is also some documentation that we can reference on an official site.

You can make your own copy that looks like theirs. - as long as you do not use their meshes or textures in any way - So taking a mesh, changing a few nodes, changing the color and calling it 'new' won't work. They test by overlaying the 'new' mesh over the original and looking for similarities. And, making it look too much like the original opens you up to accusations of copyright infringement - even if it is completely new texture and mesh work. Try explaining the nuances of Mesh and texture to a 90 year old judge who has no clue about modding computer games. "I don't know what these mesh and texture things are, but it looks like their work to me. You must have copied it - Guilty!"

Bben46, Moderator