an actual dynamic world

lichy123

whats so dynamic about games these days? i'll tell you what, nothing. but you can get a fake dynamic world that in a world big enough, a random thing once in a while based on a thing you did once might seem like an actual dynamic world for a moment. still, its a lie. but if you are really good at lying, it might as well be the truth, right? riiiight?

well, lets say the whole world of skyrim has a fixed gold amount. all the big cities like whiterun and solitude and all its citizens have a fixed gold ammount at the start of the game. hack, might as well put a range of starting gold amount and just randomize that sh*t. now, the only way those citizens can earn money is through trading and selling and what not. what next? taxes. give the jarls an npc that collects taxes every week and take some amount of gold from the NPCs and give it to the jarl. this is where things get fun. when NPCs get to the point of being poor and unable to live like a decent human being or what ever they can give you a quest. a small quest. a dynamic quest! give them money, kick them in the ass for wasting your time, steal the tax collector's money and give it back to the people or just convince him to give them a break. not dynamic enough? no? i thought so too! lets continue.

so what does the jarl actually DO with all the money? he builds stuff! pays the guards and all the boring stuff games don't have because who cares about realism. but i do. the more money the jarl has in his vault the more guards he can hire. the more guards he has, the less likelihood of the town being raided and even if it does get raided, you have lots of guards so they can take care of it. ahh... dynamic game.

still.. not enough player interaction. lets continue.

you are a thief, right? what do you do? no, you don't go to the store that sells potions and trading goods, you go to the jarl's castle and go to the vault like a smart thief! now that the jarl has a tax collector the castle actually has some income now which means the castle has a vault filled with gold that the jarl sometimes jumps in and swim in like scrooge mcduck. and as a thief you cant steal it! sounds fun but since im all into dynamic stuff this might go sour. so you steal all the gold and go back to your hideout or what ever. what now? well, the jarl has no money now! raise the taxes! NPCs will run out of money quicker now and ofc since the jarl doesn't have that much money the amount of guards it has is lower so the town might get raided more. not to mention that you might get a bounty on your head because i feel like it. its a game so i can make it so.

hack, you might even go to the tax collector himself and intimidate him to give you a small cut of the tax collection.

next we need another source of income otherwise the game will be broken quickly by players. and so, we have the mines and the miners. they mine for gold, smelt it into septims or whatever the coins are called (its been a while) and the amount of gold existing in the world increases. still, you can be evil and take over the mine and get all the gold for yourself, make the workers work for you and give you the gold, or be good and invest in the mine to make the gold flow increase or what ever.

if you wont be evil then the bandits of the world sure will! bandits from time to time will try and raid the mines (and the cities ofc) to get the sweet ores and since were all into dynamic stuff you will get a quest to stop them! no? fine then let the guards deal with it. and ofc if you took over the mine then you will have to protect it from the guards and the bandits. king of the mountain, baby!

also, there are ofc trades between the strongholds of skyrim with caravans traveling between cities to make the trades. trades mean money, varied supplies, and caravans means another source of gold and items for the thieves.

thieves you say? ah.. i smell dynamic quests! these caravans can hire you to be bodyguards to protect the caravan to reach safely to the other city and fend off the thieves and wildlife and i guess any other hostile npcs (good luck with the dragons), while you might get a quest from the thieves guild and get into a randevu point and attack said caravan with a bunch of other thieves from the guild and steal the money. or just do it yourself. dynamics.

you could even get both quest at once and act as a double agent to either side. or accept the job of the body guard, kill them all when they are not prepared and walk away with all the loot.

not enough, we need more dynamic stuff! as NPCs become poorer and more desperate for money they try different things. why not give them the option to go to a tomb or a dungeon and try their luck there and get some money off it. so you might find traveling NPCs out there in your journey that you can team up with to get the loot and maybe split the money with (depending on your social skills tree thing you can decide the cut.. doesn't have to be the boring 50-50 split), or find them dead.. or find them coming back from a successful pillaging where you can buy the loot they found from it, or just kill em or rob em. why not? or maybe they will try to rob you? ooh.. i'd like to see them try.

so in conclusion, what would such a mod do? make the player be able to affect the world in a major way that would decide how NPCs behave and act, make the choices they do open up dynamic quests and basically make the world feel alive. by making the world have a fixed ammount of gold with limited sources of increasing it's amount gold will be more scarce which will be both realistic and harder. with that in mind, prices in shop will vary and so will the supplies in it, making it truly dynamic depending on how well the caravans are protected, which the player can affect as well. with this in mind the speech tree or what ever its called will be useful and more enjoyable since bartering, intimidating and all the stuff you can do to interact with NPCs in the world will be important.

alas, such a mod is hard to make or maybe even impossible.. but if a person or a team can make such a thing, they can make skyrim a truly dynamic game with player choices affecting the world around them in a noticeable way. all these ideas are just examples and you can take this concept into any direction you wish.

thanks for reading all of this if you took the time to read it all :smile:

Edited by lichy123

beyond dynamic.. i like that :P i do wonder how hard exactly it actually is to make such a thing. i would imagine that other than the fact you might have to edit individual NPCs which would take forever you would also need to make it so it doesnt break other parts of the game like other quests and stuff or even other scripts. still.. one can hope!