Advice to all players

LegoManIAm94

Post advice here for other Oblivion players that you find helpful to you. I know that you should always save your file twice because if your one save gets corrupted or if you accedently overwrite it with another file load the other file up and save over it again so you will not lose the file.

Alchemy is the best money (vanilla) but the skill (seems to) advance quickly. Making potions and poisons is the best way to get by on hard difficulty. All beginners should try this skill out. Don't pick as major however as it does advance quickly and the rest of your attributes will suffer.

• 2 weeks later...

You can make things easier for yourself, especially at the start, if you install a companion mod or two, with your "friends" located in the IC. A companion set to "essential" (as most of them are) can't be killed--for long--and they'll aid you in your battles at a time when your options are slim.

I also recommend getting an appropriate house mod installed. Even if you can't reach it early in the game, you want one where you can eventually relocate all your goods. It's nice in any case to have a feeling that there's a place out there waiting for you. :)

Take a look at all the other fine mod categories TES Nexus has. There's some great stuff out there, suited to tailoring the game to all needs.

Some players like to back up their entire oblivion/data folder. I personally have the space on disk to save 3 different data folders. The first one is a clean install. Nothing but Oblivion, SI and patches. That is in case I need a fresh slate for testing purposes. I only ever copy/paste this folder, never moving it. Saved on writeable dvd in my case.

the second two are for my gameplay and using the construction set.

I am assuming that you know about the bethesda/oblivion/data folder.

I will replace the data folder with the one I'm not using. For example, if my data folder contains my gameplay folder and I wish to work on my mod, I will move my gameplay version of my oblivion/data folder to a new folder. In my case, it is a folder at desktop/saves/gameplay. In the folder on the desktop called saves, I open another folder called "CS" (desktop/saves/CS) and move the data folder from there to bethesda/oblivion.

I have a save for each of my charicters in Oblivion. Each of my data folders have a different capitolization, ie Data, DatA, dAta, etc. This helps me to identify them all at a glance. Each of the folders also contains a blank folder named to help identify which it is. my charicter Wiregraft has a folder called 000wiregraft for example. Each of the Data folders has its own wrye bash, obmm and boss in it.

Within desktop/saves/gameplay you can have folders for each of your charicters, keeping backups of savegame data as well. This allows each one to have its own immersive environment, eliminating a lot ot the guesswork or overlapping files.

Each mod I'm working on (sure only 1 now) will have its own folder and data saves too.

Call me paranoid, excessive or wasteful. I don't care. This method works fine with for me with a decent hard drive to keep them all on. Sure it takes a few miniutes to switch between, but it is automatic and more difficult to corrupt.

Now I need to get an external HD to put backups on and partition my existing HD.

Also check out these people:

the Oblivion Performance Project

I'd personally recommend not being a complete warrior, or mage, or stealth character. Being a jack of all trades of sorts helps you a lot when you're fighting an enemy that would normally be very difficult to beat had you been say, a mage fighting a lich, or brawler fighting a horde of Dremora.