Advice to all players

LegoManIAm94

1 - As a follow on to the "save lots" tip - don't be afraid to experiment. You can always roll back to a previous save.

2 - Don't underestimate the power of the "weakness to X" (where X is a damage effect) potions and magic. They can easilly turn the tide of an otherwise loosing battle in your favour. Especially if you're using something that lets you use potions/poison as an area of effect grenade attack. (UV for example)

Personal favourite for knocking the stuffing out of a whole group of enemies is a "weakness to shock" damage potion, followed up by AOE lightening attacks, before switching to my bow/blade (depending on how many enemies survived and how close they are) to finish them off.

3 - Try to engineer it so your first save is at the end of the tutorial dungeon, before you exit the sewers. You can then create multiple toons from this without needing an alternate start mod as you can edit your race/class/birthsign and therefore your appearance/name/major & minor attributes & skills before you step out of the sewer.

Jen

If you are a swordsman always carry around at least three swords (Assuming you use enchanted weapons). You WILL run out of charges with just one.

Also, just because a weapon is a higher level then something else, doesn't mean its better. An Akaviri Katana gets the job done just as well as a Fine Ebony Blade.

Starting out as a vampire is handicapping yourself... get good at the game first.

To amend Jenrai's use of 'weakness to x':

I prefer to use a weapon (in my case a bow) with a simple enchantment on it:

weakness to fire 50% for 5 secs

weakness to shock 50% for 5 secs

weakness to frost 50% for 5 secs

weakness to poison 50% for 5 secs

I then make a high level alchemy potion with 2-3 damaging effects (I haven't been able to concoct one with all the regular magic damages as well as damage health lol). It usually takes 1 shot for a level 5 to kill a daedra on default difficulty using the bow with a poisoned arrow. This is exploitation, not cheating. I ended up having to move the difficulty to max using this technique.

Some common (but not all) ingredients for my poisons (research it yourself to find what works):

Harrada

Spiddle Stick

Fly Agaric

Frost/Fire Salts

Fire Stalks

Nightshade

Ectoplasm

Even if I can't immediately use them, I hoard these particular ingredients. The fly amanita is abundant in IC but extremely useful. Other ingredients I hoard:

Bog Beacon Cap Asco

Vennison

Sweetcake

Blood Grass

Fun things I didn't know until today.

1. You can blow up monsters through thin floors. A simple bolt attack on the underside of a 'thin' floor will affect the monster standing on it.

2. The whirling 'mines' in the Oblivion plane can be detonated with a flare or other attack spell. Cool trick - Shoot one just as a monster is passing and blow it up! (Never managed it yet. :-(

Installed a lot of mods? Wondering who you can safely kill to start the DB quest with all NPCs set to non-essential?

Drag a CM partner you don't use into the sewers and stove his head in.

No infamy.

No fine.

But 1 murder and the impending visit from Mr. Lachance next time you sleep in an area he deems safe. ;)

Jenrai

Don't cheat! I know it sounds simple, but it's so easy to hit ~ player.advlevel... I know it sucks to be at a lower level and the level-based drops don't help all that much, but in the long run you'll have more fun and more play time leveling legit.

Use a companion. I know it's been mentioned before but they make things much more interesting, and the hard parts a little bit easier instead of turning down the difficulty.

Always carry potions, you don't know when you'll need them, and the one time you decide not to pick some up is precisely when you'll need them.

Take your time. Explore the game, side quests, do everything you can. Rushing to the end of the main storyline is fun the first time, but Oblivion is all about replay ability.

Have fun. Getting bored? Add a mod, do new quests, create a mod! Take some time away from the game. It will be there when you get back, I promise.

Start the game at the arena..you get money, its Funny and if you complete the Quest of the orc, you can skill yourself by change the settings to hard (difficulty), cuz the grand champion will not kill you then...and if you killed him you meet lucien lachante...