Request: Eye of the Tiger

MarkInMKUK

A simple idea, but probably less simple to actually execute.

What I am hoping for is a "realistic" racial ability Nighteye variant for Khajiit. By realistic, I mean one where there has to BE light for it to work - a zero light area WILL require a separate light source before even a Khajiit will see. However, once above VERY minimal levels, a Khajiit will be able to see without needing any artificial assistance.

I've taken a look at several shader mods and another that converts the nighteye ability to a racial power - Timeslip's Nighteye Shader Replacement mod was the starting point, the idea for the in-focus area came from Less Overpowered Nighteye, and the beginnings of the need for it to be an always-on racial ability were launched by Khadjit Nighhteye Fix.

Background:

I have cats as pets (or, maybe, I'm THEIR pet can-opener - I'm not sure which is the predominant view). I becaome interested a few years back in the way cat vision works, and this mod request is the result.

Cats can, apparently, see six times as well as humans in poor light conditions. They also have poor RED vision, but see green through to blue sections of the spectrum as well as humans do. They can also handle brighter lights than humans, and adapt to light level changes faster than humans do.

How the mod needs to work:

Normal (100% of maximum) ambient light down to about 75% of maximum:

Normal colour vision (or, optionally, a custom shader with the red saturation level reduced by 50%).

75% ambient light down to 60% of maximum: progressive desaturation until the shader gives a clear, but monochrome image - mimicking the effect of the colour vision fading out as light levels drop.

60% ambient light down to 15%: linear reduction down to normal "60%" darkness level. Possibly including a reducing size in-focus area mask and (if using OBGE) a depth of field reduction.

15% ambient light down to 5%: linear reduction back to human view of darkness levels.

5% ambient down to 0%: as humans.

Note: This shouldn't affect the "normal" night eye spell, which should work exactly as before - this is a replacement for the Khajiit racial ability and should be enabled all the time. A Khajiit casting Nighteye should be able to see exactly as a human would, and when the spell times out would revert to the racial power automatically running.

So ... is there anybody out there who wants to tackle this request? I am (of course) happy to test the mod, but I lack the requisite knowledge to even BEGIN to do something like this.

Darn - can someone edit the tags at the top - that should have been graphics and nighteye separately not the portmanteau word that ended up there

Darn - can someone edit the tags at the top - that should have been graphics and nighteye separately not the portmanteau word that ended up there

Well, I did it now, but I had to figure out how to first. Editing tags isn't among the moderator actions we're given, so I edited your opening post instead and was first presented an editor which was incapable of doing so, until I tried the "Full Editor" instead. I'm not sure that was something only moderators can do, the interface didn't look like it to me, so it can't hurt checking out what You can do when editing your opening post using the Full Editor instead of the quick one.

And keep in mind, you have to enter tags seperated by ",", not " ". The latter will turn into 1 single tag containing the entire text you entered.

Learned all this by myself today thanks to your request. Guess there's still no day I'm not learning something new about how these forums operate, even after 10+ years of using them now.

Glad I could help - I'll have to change my tagline to "Itinerant Pedagogue".

and, yes, the "Full Editor" gives me the option to handle the tags myself - I didn't notice the option when I tried to edit them

Edited by MarkInMKUK