Frequent Crashes with Darnified UI

Toonfish

Hi,

when I first ran Oblivion unter WINE, I was astonished by both performance and compatibility. While the first has withered away a bit after applying some mods, I am unable to achieve the second criterium again - that is, especially after installing the Darnified UI, I experience frequent crashes to desktop. (E.g.: "wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x0000084c at address 0x57715c (thread 0022), starting debugger..." The thread number changes, the memory addresses don't.)

While I have been able to track most of these problems down to specific scripts (in the beginning, I could neither rest nor convince nor barter nor...), I could not resolve one specific problem: The game crashes when reading quest-relevant scrolls and - sometimes - books. To make matters worse, I cannot pick them up, either, as the "take" button is located within the scroll. So each time, I have to exit the game, open my browser, look up the quest stage in UESPwiki and use the console to proceed - a process which completely breaks immersion and makes the game very enervating to play.

I have tried quite a bit to find the source of this, but unfortunately, I am unable to run both OBMM and Wrye Bash. (Net 2.0 and wxPython, respectively...). Opening the relevant items with CS was of little help, there were no common characteristics to be found (mesh, icon, scroll flag, and script status were checked). Also, Oblivion does not seem to have the kind of log Morrowind had, so I can't find out if any file is missing etc.

Does anybody have any idea on how to track this down? I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

David

PS: Mod list:

Bashed Patch, 0.esp

ClocksOfCyrodiil.esp

Dungeon Actors Have Torches 1.6 CT.esp

Exterior Actors Have Torches 1.3 CT.esp

FastTravelAllowed.esp

Harvest[Containers].esp

HouseMapMarkersOnlyBought.esp

IWR - Windows Lights Shutters - Optimised.esp

IWR-Lights.esp

IWR-Shutters.esp

IWR-Windows.esp

KDDwemerSpectacles.esp

Kobu's Character Advancement System.esp

LoadingScreens.esp

Lock Bash v99.9.esp

MM_TextLocks.esp

MidasSpells.esp

More Realistic Encumbrance with Fatigue.esp

P1DmenuEscape.esp

Q - More and Moldy Ingredients v1.1.esp

Quest Award Leveling - Finger of the Mountain.esp

Quest Award Leveling.esp

Ranokoas Organized Potions.esp

RealisticFlora.esp

RealisticForceMedium.esp

RealisticMagicForceHigh.esp

SaddleBag_noMenu.esp

Syc_AtHomeAlchemy.esp

Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp

Visually Realistic Deadly Lava.esp

_Real_Lights.esp

All of these were manually installed, I can't work with OMODs due to lack of OBMM.

I just noticed the Bashed Patch is a 64B dummy file. The installer for Wrye Bash doesn't even finish (although everything is installed, I believe), and trying to start Wrye Bash gives loads of errors for any setup I tried (different versions of all Wrye Bash, Python, wxPython, comtools). Seems it creates this file when trying to start but doesn't get far on the actual conflict resolution.

I guess I'll try reinstalling the darnified UI and see where experimenting gets me.

(I don't quite get why Wrye made his program Windows-compatible only, anyways.... kind of misses the purpose of a cross-platform language. Installing all those Python moules through WINE sure is prone to errors.)

Wow, I didn't think the solution would be THAT obvious.

The .ini entry for the handwritten font was missing a newline at the end. And this cost me at least 5 hours in experimenting with different tools, mod combinations, menu scripts, etc.

FML.