Looking for a cheap gaming laptop! or desktop!

Hey all! i have been looking for something decent to get 60 fps on for a low price. I have searched high and low and the developers i have found for a good desktop/laptop are these - Lenovo y410 - laptop - specs -

• 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (3.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

• Windows 8 64
• 14.0" HD+ Glossy LED Backlit with integrated camera 1600x900
• NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 1TB 5400 RPM
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
• 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
This is the one i am leaning towards, but i have also been trying some things on Cyberpower.
Overall i am looking for a reliable, well performing pc, at a cheap price, preferably under 1000 CAD.
Battery life doesnt matter much to me for a laptop. If this is the best laptop i will find let me know, if not also let me know with your thoughts on what would be. Also suggest some desktops under 1000 CAD and i will decide what i like. Please give me an estimate of how many fps on games like skyrim, fallout, minecraft, and any other games on high/ultra settings.
Thank you!

Thats not a bad laptop i say, for the price you can't beat that. if its upgrade able like some gaming laptops its a steal.

review that might help you.

Great buy for a budget gamer

Date: Apr 27, 2014

I have had the y410p for a month and so far it has been performing even better than I thought it could. The 12gb ram and Ge force 755m make heavy graphics games such as skyrim work great. The only problems I have had so far are the standard problems such as wifi card and bluetooth. Those two problems were easily fixable by downloading the drivers off the lenovo website or just changing some of the driver settings. Everything is as great as it seemed in the promos.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y410p/#reviews

In the future you may want to upgrade to windows 7 instead of 8, if you didn't get the joke :tongue: .

Edited by Thor.

I've had Win 8 for a while on two of my laptops. It sucks that the Windows key doesn't just open that charm bar on the right and that a search field isn't permanently built into both desktops, but that's really it. So it takes ~1.5 seconds longer to start things up in Windows 8, big design oversight, but if you've ever dealt with Windows 3.11 FWG, that will put into perspective how minor it is.

I wouldn't pay to upgrade to Win8, except on a touchscreen equipped unit, but neither would I downgrade to 7 even for free (which I can).

Also suggest some desktops under 1000 CAD

Builds or prebuilt?

A desktop build can be better and the only way you'll push consistent 50+ fps in Skyrim.

But it's not necessarily cheaper, you'll mostly benefit from things like a bigger screen, a more comfortable keyboard, better video, but not by a mile.

thank you for your replies. I have looked up reviews of the 410p and multiple have said that it stutters alot. so heres the alternative suggested - lenovo y510p with specs -

• 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

• Windows 8.1 64
• 15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080
• NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 1TB 5400 RPM + 24GB SSD
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• Intel® Wireless-N 7260 (802.11bgn)
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
this one is slightly more expensive, WITH an ssd in it which the 410p lacked. how is this for 1,039 CAD

Hello fellow Canadian, its a okay deal. You can see some go for 2000$ with the same specs most of the time, so go with what is cheaper.. The one you picked is a good buy.

Edited by Thor.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with a desktop, with an AMD processor, AMD GPU, 8 GB RAM, AM3+ socket MOBO, and a 750 Watt PSU. You can get a strong system that can play modern games at high settings for $1200. Even less if you don't mind going medium settings for the state of the art games.