[WiPz] The Uncanny Valley Ranch

BadPenney

And luckily it's not called "Hidden Valley Ranch". I would have laughed a bit too hard.

The "Uncanny Valley" is a term that was coined to describe people's reaction to humanoid robots. If a robot is obviously a machine then people tend to respond favorably toward it, like a pet. If a robot is nearly indistinguishable from humans then it gets favorable responses, even amazement at its likeness. But if a robot appears almost human but but not quite, then it evokes a response ranging from an eerie distaste to extreme revulsion. I hope to play on that feeling of revulsion.

And luckily it's not called "Hidden Valley Ranch". I would have laughed a bit too hard.

The "Uncanny Valley" is a term that was coined to describe people's reaction to humanoid robots. If a robot is obviously a machine then people tend to respond favorably toward it, like a pet. If a robot is nearly indistinguishable from humans then it gets favorable responses, even amazement at its likeness. But if a robot appears almost human but but not quite, then it evokes a response ranging from an eerie distaste to extreme revulsion. I hope to play on that feeling of revulsion.

Oh, it's very appropirate. Hidden Valley Ranch is a brand of salad dressing, though.

Though I am a also a big fan of Hidden Valley Ranch as well, Ranch dressing is the kind of all salad dressing

If I fail at the mod, maybe I can succeed with a new type of salad dressing.

I have no idea how to rig for FO3 either, but you are farther along on the learning curve than I am, Tony.

Great video. Now I know why Keanu Reeves has always creeped me out. He's a droid.

A third option to those mentioned in the video is what has me interested. That is to exploit the revulsion factor of the uncanny valley. I think their wrongness is why I find the feral ghouls to be the creepiest enemies in FO3.

Though I am a also a big fan of Hidden Valley Ranch as well, Ranch dressing is the kind of all salad dressing

If I fail at the mod, maybe I can succeed with a new type of salad dressing.

I have no idea how to rig for FO3 either, but you are farther along on the learning curve than I am, Tony.

Great video. Now I know why Keanu Reeves has always creeped me out. He's a droid.

A third option to those mentioned in the video is what has me interested. That is to exploit the revulsion factor of the uncanny valley. I think their wrongness is why I find the feral ghouls to be the creepiest enemies in FO3.

The thing is, I know how to rig, and skin, and even make custom skeletons for all sorts of different creatures from 2 - 18 limbs...

The problem is, I don't know how to do it for Fallout, and I havn't worked with the Fallout skeleton and I don't know how I would put a mesh onto that skeleton and make the .nif file work. I actually don't even have nifskope installed on my computer at the moment.

But as far as the video, if you liked that then you should check out some of the guys other videos, they are pretty good if you are interested in videogame design that is.

But anyways, I'll take some Uncanny Valley Ranch on my salad. Tastes just enough like ranch to make you notice how weird the small difference in taste is. You will keep comeing back for more, if not because you like it, because it will make you want to find out what it is that makes it taste so... off...

Uncanny Valley Ranch, almost Ranch Dressing, but not quite. (if only I had photoshop up and running I would make a bottle of it... just updated to Win 7 and don't have hardly anything installed right now)

Uncanny Valley Ranch, almost Ranch Dressing, but not quite. (if only I had photoshop up and running I would make a bottle of it...

Maybe I should change the name to Uncanny Valley Resort or something else less food-like.