Suggestions for modders

Nadin

I've played a lot of mods and read a bunch of reviews PLUS some articles on the psychology of video games. I figured I would just post what I had learned.

Concerning content stolen/ripped from other games:

Don't. Ever.

Concerning altering content within a game:

Don't switch around a few things on an asset from a game and call it original. Creating a new model/texture with custom damages is original. Giving a Chinese assault rifle a plasma projectile effect isn't. Call it improved or changer or altered or just say " A new effect for the Chinese assault rifle" but don't call it new or original, as that causes us to believe it's--well-- New.

General modding stuff:

If you have to give the player guidance, the best way is via radio. It's less intrusive and more immersive than PDA or just pulling up some window.

Sound is more important to experienced gamers than newbies. Visuals are more important to newbies than experienced gamers. Consider your targeted audience.

Speaking of which, your tastes in pop culture really shouldn't come into play with a mod. As I learned the hard way, making a reference as to whether or not a certain cake exists is fine. Making a reference to Emma and some bagels doesn't work quite as well. Again, consider the game you are modding and the people likely to play it.

Same goes for music. Try to re-use the files from the game itself rather than supply new music. If you must supply new music, make sure it isn't pirated, and make it at least similar to what was in-game. However, there are two exceptions:

Classical music, due to the fact that people who like some of it usually like all of it;

And 50's music, provided it's in the same mood as what was originally from the game. I.E, if the music in-game was upbeat and happy, make YOUR music upbeat and happy.

ALWAYS,ALWAYS,ALWAYS test your mod with at least 5 different people before wide-spread release. Preferably people with different computers and software for technical testing, and people with different tastes for quality testing. I.E., if your mod is music-based send to 5 people with different tastes in music than you.

Is the plot seems thin or cheesy just leave it out.

If you have three or four people for voice acting, that's great. If it's just you, PLEASE, for the love of god, use subtitles.

Also take a look at the site the chinese room: it's owned by someone who studies the psychology behind first-person shooters.

Please also posted what you think of this article. Was it to long? Condescending? Actually useful?

From what I understand, it is technically legal to take something from one game-- say a texture-- and port it to another. It is also legal to send the ported texture to another person provided that they have a copy of the game it was ported from.

It is specifically illegal to take anything directly from one game and put it in another. This includes meshes, textures, music, scripts and anything else that can be copyrighted. Unless you have the written permission from the copyright holder - Not likely, but possible. A comment that says " I have permission" doesn't work. we must be able to verify it. that means a link to an official site somewhere that gives that permission.

Bethesda even goes so far as to limit the use of copyrighted material from their DLCs. You cannot use anything specific to a DLC in a mod - Unless you require that DLC to be loaded in any game that uses that mod.

Even if you own both games. You do not own the copyright to these items. As long as you stay with a completely new item, even if it looks like the original you are within the law. However, if it does look too much like the original, be prepared to be challenged on it. As to legal - if it comes to a court - you will probably have to explain to an 80 year old technically illiterate judge how your creation can look just like the plaintiffs, and not be a copyright infringement. Good luck on that.

We do enforce this as we don't want to be sitting beside you in that court.

Bben46, Moderator

From what I understand, it is technically legal to take something from one game-- say a texture-- and port it to another. It is also legal to send the ported texture to another person provided that they have a copy of the game it was ported from.

It is specifically illegal to take anything directly from one game and put it in another. This includes meshes, textures, music, scripts and anything else that can be copyrighted. Unless you have the written permission from the copyright holder - Not likely, but possible. A comment that says " I have permission" doesn't work. we must be able to verify it. that means a link to an official site somewhere that gives that permission.

Bethesda even goes so far as to limit the use of copyrighted material from their DLCs. You cannot use anything specific to a DLC in a mod - Unless you require that DLC to be loaded in any game that uses that mod.

Even if you own both games. You do not own the copyright to these items. As long as you stay with a completely new item, even if it looks like the original you are within the law. However, if it does look too much like the original, be prepared to be challenged on it. As to legal - if it comes to a court - you will probably have to explain to an 80 year old technically illiterate judge how your creation can look just like the plaintiffs, and not be a copyright infringement. Good luck on that.

We do enforce this as we don't want to be sitting beside you in that court.

Bben46, Moderator

Thank you for clearing that up.