CM Companions Looting My House?

SaijaRii

I have three companions and I've always had them "Stay Here" in my Vanilla House, well I downloaded a Bruma House Mod, and a Decorator Mod, and spruced it up nicely with my collected books, scrolls, weapons, armor, silver, food, etc... And as I put things down, my companions would pick them up whenever I turned my back, sometimes even taking things out of containers! So for now they are stuck in the undecorated portion of the house. Is there anyway to keep this from happening? Is it exclusive to non-Oblivion houses? (I didn't decorate those much but they never took stuff out of containers) Sure I can keep them on Standby but its cool to have them eat and sleep, and I give them all plenty of books to read.

Any help and / or advice welcome and appreciated.

The companions most likely have responsibility set below 30 in the CS. If this is the case they will steal and not report you for crimes etc.

You could check this for yourself in the CS if you're familiar with it.

The companions most likely have responsibility set below 30 in the CS. If this is the case they will steal and not report you for crimes etc.

You could check this for yourself in the CS if you're familiar with it.

He's correct, and if you set it higher, they will take offense at theft in their presence. An alternative is using companions that use more complexity in how such matters are handled. For example, I use Sulteric Drums' Viconia, and she never picks up anything, but doesn't really care if my character is a little light-fingered.

Thanks, both of you. I remember reading something in the Readme about how to set their responcibility higher (Either that or it was in a console command list FAQ), I will do that to one and look into replacing the other two with something like Viconia (Not particularly attached to them).

And no I am not familiar with the CM editor thingy, but I bet there is some info in one of the Readmes that can point me in the right direction.

THANKS!! :thanks:

EDIT: Yah, her responcibility is seventy dunno what is up. Gonna do some testing, go back into a Vanilla house, put some valuable stuff on shelves and in containers and watch them. And thanks for recommending Virconia that looks like a fun little sidequest/CM partner.

EDIT: So I sit Raven in a room, in my modded Bruma house, wait an hour she steals a hammer out of a display case and a book off of a desk. I take her to the Skingrad "vanilla" house put the hammer in a display case and the book on a shelf and wait for an hour, twenty-four times, she doesn't touch anything... I am ASSUMING, this may mean the modded house while safe to put stuff in, isn't really designated as belonging to the player and the Companions don't view it as stealing.

If anyone cares...

The modded house is this:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8639

The CM Companion is this:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=28181

I am going to go see if the same thing happens in Sinbloods Vampire Haven which I used on an old Vampire Character, no partners besides an Ogre on guard duty when I played that toon.

EDIT X 3 ZOMG!! (Its better then double posting right?): In Sinbloods Vampire Haven I placed the hammer and the book on the desk in the library waited for 48 hours in varied amounts of wait times all she did was eat, drink, and sit in the Captain's chair.

Sinblood's creapy as hell, a new spook every time you enter vampire "house" mod is this:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=14425

Edit: After MORE testing, I determined that in the modded houses, even in Sinblood's that when these particular companions wake up, the proceed to pick up every weapon in the room, in the room. And sometimes but not all times this would apply to after waiting too. In the vanilla houses none of this seems to apply. Why this is I am not sure, gonna reload so everything is back to normal because I thoroughly trashed everything. Keep them in an empty house, get Virconia and see what happens. See if its these CMs combined with the modded houses, or just the modded houses.

Anyone know how to turn the looting off in the CS?

TES CS > Object Window > Actor > NPC >AAMyThievingCompanion > AI > Responsibility

Change responsibility to make it higher than 30.

Your case is a bit mystifying. It almost sounds like this is not consistently working for you. But what I told you is sort of like the textbook solution. (Although textbooks and more especially wikis can be wrong.)

I have only had about four companions, but they never steal anything. (They just get in fights and sometimes commit murders.) I bet that if you got some different companions, you would not have this problem. Sometimes weird glitches occur. Once once of my companions became terrified of mudcrabs and everything scarier. It has only happened in that one savegame and I have never been able to duplicate it again.

That's what you get when you hang around with a bunch of low lifes. I have never seen this problem when using any companion. CM or other.

Do you have them set to automatically loot or gather?

That's what you get when you hang around with a bunch of low lifes. I have never seen this problem when using any companion. CM or other.

Do you have them set to automatically loot or gather?

No, but I will double check.