Re-directing Nif Files

theuseless

I installed a great mod, called Easy Construction Meshes. I love the mod. I made a simple mistake however. I download this mod when I was first learning to mod. All the Nif's are in a folder at data/meshes/easy construction. I know that there are textures too, but I want to combine these with the meshes I properly sorted into data/meshes/tharnstein, (all with corresponding textures folders where neccessary). I wish to use BSA commander to make a bsa file. I have the basics down of bsa commander, but haven't had the time to fully explore it. Do I need to use another program? I know that cleaning a mod is a high priority and read the manual for the fo3edit. I have successfully cleaned my mod, but am getting closer to being able to release an alpha. Maybe another 2 weeks. So any advice to this learning noob would be awesome!

thanks in advance,

theuseless

Is this Oblivion or Fallout 3?

With Oblivion, meshes are linked to textures by a target path in each .nif, and can be changed with nifscope.

With FO3, meshes are linked to a basic texture (not sure how), but can be defined in the CS with any texture by using a texture set

Regardless, whenever using a modders resource which you don't make any significant edits to, it is usually always best to just keep meshes and textures where they are from that resource so that if any updates/changes are made to either, they can be quickly applied. It also serves as a bit of accreditation to the resource incase someone doesn't know where you got those meshes.

Edited by Vagrant0

Wow. I don't know if you have a giant library of answers to refer to or have just been doing this so long that you memorized all the stuff you post. It seems that whenever I have a question, either you or bben46 give me the best answers, even when I'm searching other people's posts. Thanks again. I was planning on including an html-ized credits document, giving proper credit where due and providing links to source materials. I believe transparency is the best answer when it comes to credit, so will be giving credit directly in the scripts I use as well (using the " ; " function).

I like the idea of leaving them as original folders too, so that they can be easily updated (either by me or by the downloader). This will also reduce on bloat in the data folder, correct?

-edit-

I am modding oblivion right now (I paused my progress on the geck). The manual for the fo3edit applies to the tes4edit as they are the same for both, the noble ElmensterEU translated the program to work for fallout3. As I understand it, Elmenster has endorsed the training manual, found here:

Fallout3 Training Manual for Fo3Edit

I'm not trying to make the nifs target new textures, I will refer to the extensive rescource of tutorials out there and the help I can research here.

:thanks: again