Mods not working.

Valkree

I am a few days new to all of this and am needing some help. I'm using obmm to install all of my mods that I download.

-create

-add archive

-create omod

-activate

^ This is the order I use to install the mods.

Most of the time when im adding a file using add archive it will load and then I am able to click create omod but when I look in the space where the mod is suppose to be, its blank. This is one of the few problems I'm having.

________________________________________________________________________________

The other is that when im in-game most of the mods I have aren't working. I have installed a few smaller mods that seem to work such as HG EyeCandy Body. Others like Tona's Mods Shop or Goddess Store do NOT work. I don't know if this is due to me installing them wrong, or not doing something in-game.

When I close obmm and re-open it a while later to install a new mod, a few mods are blue, one is red, and the others are black. I know green means its not activated, and blue means it is. I am also assuming red means its not going to work period. That's all that I know. If anyone can give me any help or advice what so ever I would very much appreciate it. :smile:

>I am running vista home premium.

Thank you-In advance.

For Vista related problems such as UAC, Check here:

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=262.

Many mods require either OBSE, the latest patch or both. they will not work without them.

OBSE: http://obse.silverlock.org/

Bben's Patch Advice

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=327

Some mods, such as the eye candy, do not have an esp component, only mesh or textures which will not be listed on the left window in OBMM. The reason is only esp load order matters. the OMODs listed in the right window will always be in alphabetical order. The esp and esm files in the left window will be listed in load order.

Just because it is in OMOD format does not mean that a mod will automatically work. OMOD is just an easier way to manage activating and deactivating mods. If a particular mod conflicts with another one, if they are in OMOD, they will still conflict, but now it lets you know before you activate it.

If OBMM shows the mod is active with a BLUE block on the right window, then it is installed. A GREEN block indicates it is ready to be activated with no conflicts. IF an active mod has an esp or esm then it will be added to the list in the left window. Usually at the bottom. You must decide on the proper load order. Or use a utility like BOSS ( http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=20516 ) to help you with load order (usually not needed until you have a dozen or so active mods)

A Brown or red OMOD show it is ready to be activated with some possible conflicts (brown) or major conflicts (red) conflicts do not mean it will not work, just that it will replace some other mesh or textures that are already installed - maybe that is what it is supposed to do.

Black means a serious conflict, and maybe you should be aware of it before installing. With OMODs you can always deactivate and the mod will be completely removed if there is a problem. Activating a black OMOD may cause another mod to no longer work, or cause strange problems.

Pick a single problem mod, disable all others. then try that one. if it doesn't work, then troubleshoot that one instead of piling more problems into your game. When you have a dozen mods installed, which one caused the problem? Once you get that one working properly, TEST it in game. Now pick another one. Repeat until all mods either work or have been removed.

Yeah, I agree with Ben... one other thing to watch out for when using OMOD & the add archive feature is that some mods contain more than one Archive. Make sure you've got all the archives you need, and unzip them to the same location, add everything (textures/meshes/sounds/esm/esp) to the one data folder and then Omod that. I know you can add multiple archives to the same omod in the creation phase, but this way is quicker, more thorough, and more likely to show up any potential conflicts with existing mods. Plus, in the case of larger mods, how do you know you've not missed an archive if there are seven or eight? The creation panel only shows the ESM's/ESP's that are in the archives you've selected. OBMM's OMOD, just like Wrye Bash's Bain, is a fantastic installer utility, but ideally you want a little basic knowledge of installing mods manually before you become over-dependant on these.

Jenrai

So OBSE is a more advanced version of obmm, or its just easier to use?

What would I use it for?

I also don't understand alot of things such as, esp component, esm files, or how to manually install mods. I apologize for not understanding any of this because of me being so new to this. However I do appreciate you two helping me with this.

OBSE = Oblivion Script Extender

OBMM = Oblivion Mod Manager

obse makes it so that mods can use programming that wasn't released in the vanilla package. If a mod needs this, it is not any more demanding on your computer.

obmm will allow you to manage your mods. I suggest reading parts of the manual such as how to check for errors or whatever. If this all sounds too much, go to bben46's tutorials here, you should be able to get started.

Ben's Oblivion Support

You're welcome Valkree. We've all been there (some more recently than others. :) ) and if it wasn't for help from the community then a lot of us probably wouldn't have got into modding/playing mods at all. The guys here at the Nexus are particularly helpful.

To answer your quick question about ESPs/ESMs without using all the terminology and stuff, the easiest way I find to remember it, would be

ESM = Master File - adds scripts, resources, programs for the larger mods that use a lot of none-vanilla data.

ESP = Program File - Actually makes the mod work... activates it, if you like. As long as its partner ESM is present, if it has one. Many don't. Generally you'll find the larger the mod the more likely it is to have both an ESM and an ESP, but some mods (body replaces, usually, but a couple of others too) have neither, and just replace a couple of textures/meshes from the vanilla game to slightly change things.

I know thats not "literally" correct, but its the most sense I've managed to make of it without giving myself a headache or making my eyes bleed reading all the jargon.

Jenrai

I seem to be having yet another problem. I went to the site useless suggested and got to step 4.

Step 4.

I went into the data files before running the game and checked the box.

I entered the game and it was not there.

(At the base of the statue across from edgar's discount spells)

After that I disabled my UAC and restarted my computer. Checked the data files just in case it wasn't checked, it was. Entered the game again, still not there. At this point im stuck.

-I did make a new folder on my desktop, extracted the files from bben's test dagger into it.

-I copied (not moved) the esp file only into that data file of oblivion.

-Checked the box.

If you don't even see the mod in the game then you will need to get a patch for oblivion. Get the latest patch and then try it out.

+Kudos Lego :thanks:

I had totally forgotten about this.

I went to the bethesda website and downloaded the patch.

-English version

-Latest patch v1.2.0416

However, when I started to actually patch up at exactly 8% I receive an error message stating,

' Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match. '

Am I missing something?