Questions about the Items in Borderlands and how they are made

madman132

I have a Gun. Nothing unusual on Pandora, everyone either carries a Gun or is invulnerable.

When i find Guns they often have some Modifiers attached to them which seem rather unlogical. Why would anyone decrease the Clipsize of a Weapon?

I figured that the Computer has a base item and then adds some random Modifiers. I got a "glorious Massacre" Machine Gun which has high accuracy and a scope. It's low Firerate actually works to its advantage, since the Weapon is more stable. It's easy to aim this Gun at the Enemies head and score many Critical Hits, thus making more damage then every other Combat Rifle i have found.

I carry this Thing around since level 22. Now i'm 50 and it's about time that i found a better Weapon. I really wanna have a combat Rifle with high accuracy and a Scope.

Is that how the Lootsytem Works? The Game "Builds" the Weapons from a base and random addons?

In any Case: I'm interested in a Program that lets me make Weapons. I don't want to make superuber cheat weapons, i'd build me Weapons which could actually drop, maybe a sniperrifle with very high stability so i wont have to annoy all my Teammates when i ask them to drop all the sniperrifles they looted to test them ("Stability" is not shown in the weapons card, you have to test that).

Or a Rocket Launcher which wont shoot 5 Rockets in any Direction but the one i am aiming at.

So, i'm searching for a Program that lets me create Weapons, which i'll use to make Weapons that could actually drop.

• 2 weeks later...

The weapon system is actually quite complicated. Basically every weapon is a random combo of 16 parts. Each of these parts has a difference effect on the weapon.

The different parts are

Grade

Manufacturer

Type

Body

Grip

Magazine

Barrel

Sight

Stock

Action

Accessory

Material

Prefix

Title

Clip Size

and

Quality

So there are 13 total weapon types (shotguns, machine guns, etc) and 14 weapon manufactures (atlas, mawlian,etc), and each one of those manufactures has 3 or 4 different parts for each of part type (eg - 3 atlas shotgun barrels to choose from, 4 mawlian machine gun scopes , etc). So when a weapon drops it randomly generates it's stats on the spot based on your level, using a random combo of parts.

Using a hex editor on your saved game you can actally edit some of your weapons parts to make a new gun, but it is almost impossible to tell what part will do what as far as i know, unless someone somehwere actally went through each part and determined what they do, so by editing a weapon you could just be wreaking it.

Edit - I found some stuff, I guess other people have messed with the hex too and someone even created a program for it. There has actally been a lot of work done on this.

http://blmodding.wikidot.com/start

http://blmodding.wikidot.com/hall-of-fame