Fallout 3 Modding Issues

toxicwolf6

Hi folks.

1. I created a new NPC for a mod, and placed the Combat armour into his inventory. However his bare arms don't reflect the same skin colour as his face. In the game his face colour is set to the same as his arms - annoying because he is now white rather than african-american. This happens with any armour, and every other NPC I have created. Vanilla NPCs haven't been effected.

I did some more poking around and even if I edit a vanilla NPC and change the ID, the skin colour is defaulted to causican (can't spell it) too. I tried loading the Fallout3.esp on its own and making an NPC then had the same result. I'm sure it didn't do this before I re-installed...? :confused:

How do I fix this bug?

2. When I load my mod, I get this warning message:

PATHFINDING: Navmesh 00064290 Cell 'MarigoldStation01' (00016D9F) has a large number of triangles, 2218, please check and optimize.
I gather it's because I have edited the cell and added to the Navmesh, but how do I 'optimize'?

3. Also, upon loading the Marigold Station cell, I get another warning message:

HAVOK ERROR: Interior is too large for the Havok World! World must be expanded or cell must be made smaller. Cell: 'MarigoldStation01' (00016D9F)

Cell Extents: x:25432.000000 y:15281.197266 z:2432.000000

World Size: 22746.880859

What can I do without sacrificing any contents of the cell?

Hope you can help,

Toxic Wolf

I have now partially resolved the problem.

I couldn't remember if I had G4WL when I patched to 1.7, but I have now so I re-patched to 1.7 and downloaded/installed the latest version of the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch (2.0).

Now when playing the game, NPC's related to my mod have the correct face colour, but any skin that is shown by armour/clothing is still default causican.

What should I do?

I have added more questions, see the topic post above.

For your skin issue, there are two things you can do:

1) on the NPC data page, clikc the "Can be all races" check box.

2) turn your mod into an ESM. This can be accomplished with FO3EditMasterUpdate mode and other tools. Once you turn your mod into an ESM, you won't be able to edit it in the GECK any more, so you would need FO3EditMasterRestore mode as well. FOMM is also useful in this process.

There is an "Optimization" button on the Navmesh toolbar. But be ware. Using this will usually remove some of your needed navmeshes and must be re-built by hand. Ultimately, you want less than 2000 total triangles. Make bigger triangles. (plus see next section first).

The Havok error is because your cell is too big in either the X, Y or Z direction. I can't recall what exactly the measurement is that puts your cell out-of-bounds, but I think its along the lines of 20,000 units. Either remove some of your cell to make it fit this amount of units, or cut out some of your cell and place it into a new cell and connect the origianl cell to the new one via a door. It is not good to make big cells anyway due to the lag it will produce in-game. Doing this will most likely fix your navmesh problem as well.

Cheers!

I was hoping not to have to move any of the cell to a new one as it flows nicely, but it looks like I'll have to.

Thanks again for the help :thanks:

Toxic Wolf

EDIT: I have changed my NPC's and checked the "Can be all Races" box, but there has been no change in the two-tone skin colour problem.

Uh that Havok error shows up when you run the Havok sim on something which fell thru the floor somehow then kept falling an falling, it just gets put where the door marker is ingame, but if you wanted to get rid of it, click a part of the floor, then hit T for top view, then zoom in till you zoom thru the floor, then use the mouse to create a select window which covers that area, anything down there will be selected, to which you delete.

We have two toned skin? :/ I should probably look into that if I wasn't being face stomped, shot full of holes, or using a script I wrote to make me run twice as fast so that running 8 miles to the end of the heightmap so I could go swimming didn't take too long to get there.

singing *BAD PENNEY's GONA TO RUN ME OUT OF TOWN, OH YEAH* ..... *OH YEAH*

ESMify, wow, an I was using Psudo .Esm, ESMify is much more technicial mind if I use that? :D

ZOMG here come Bad Penny, got to go hide.

Bye