Gargantuan Custom Modules

DarkAnsem

Program used: Blender latest Version

Export Type: .3ds

Import type: .fbx via the Autodesk converter

I explain my problem: in order to practice for modeling this game I was trying to import a model from another game into this. no texture or anything, just in order to see how it works. I thought to solve any problem by importing in blender 2 meshes: the custom one and one equivalent from Dragon age (I wanted a longsword, so I imported a longsword).

I switched to Edit mode, and scaled down the custom model so that the hilts of the swords would match their position in the editor. and while a bit bigger than the Dragon Age sword, the result was acceptable. I saved and exported.

then I followed the nightmarish procedure for importing a custom model. I succedeed, I tried it in-game, and it is still enormous. what have I done wrong?

Before or after editing, it doesn't really matter, although you'll need to edit some more if you do it after. The object scalings need to be the same for both your new sword model and the vanilla one you're using to match the default orientation/position. Check the Transform Properties for both so that they match (except DimX/Y/Z).

Scaling in Blender is quite easy. If you've already edited the model to fit the vanilla longsword and notice the object scaling parameters are not right, just note them down, set them to 1, and apply the scaling in Edit Mode along each axis by the number you've recorded.

For instance if my object's ScaleX is 0.125, I note it down, replace 0.125 with 1.000, hit TAB to go in Edit Mode, and hit s->x->0.125.

If the export tool you're using is anything like the Blender scripts, it doesn't export object data like scaling, position, rotation. Whatever transformation you did in Object Mode will not apply. I don't think model scaling is changed during .3ds export.

I don't know what gave your the impression that exporting from Blender was doomed to failure. I don't know the "nightmarish procedure", but if your object's too big there's a scale factor wrong somewhere. All I'm saying is that all transformations must be made in Edit Mode, it's the only 100% sure way they will actually impact the mesh data.

If Scale parameters in Object mode are at 1.0 and the model is still too big, try (once again, in Edit Mode) to scale it down, and see if it helps.

No, nothing like that, although you probably had better save the file before exporting... wierd that the scaling you do in Edit Mode doesn't do anything though.

Do you have a link to the "nightmarish procedure" you followed when exporting your new model ? I'll give it a try., maybe I'll see what's wrong.

Other than that, you can try the Blender scripts. It requires a bit of work for new models but it works fine.