Installation for vista user

stebbinsd

I have Windows Vista for my current PC.

Years ago, I played Oblivion on this PC. I can't afford to upgrade the PC so I can play Skyrim on it, so I instead have resolved to purchase Oblivion again to consol myself. According to the tracking number, it's set to arrive in the mail later today.

I remember, last time I played Oblivion on this Vista OS, that I had to install it in some folder other than the default "Program Files," or else I couldn't use any mods that I didn't create myself with the Construction Set.

But... that's all I know. I know to NOT install it in "Program Files." I know what NOT to do.

But... I don't know what TO do.

Where should I install it? And in what folder should I put the mods I download?

Edited by stebbinsd

I have Windows Vista for my current PC.

Years ago, I played Oblivion on this PC. I can't afford to upgrade the PC so I can play Skyrim on it, so I instead have resolved to purchase Oblivion again to consol myself. According to the tracking number, it's set to arrive in the mail later today.

I remember, last time I played Oblivion on this Vista OS, that I had to install it in some folder other than the default "Program Files," or else I couldn't use any mods that I didn't create myself with the Construction Set.

But... that's all I know. I know to NOT install it in "Program Files." I know what NOT to do.

But... I don't know what TO do.

Where should I install it? And in what folder should I put the mods I download?

As simple as it is, that's it. Just don't install it in any of the Program Files and you're good to go. I'd recommend making a folder just for your games, like C:\Games. WHen the installation wizard asks you where to install it, change it to what you want.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

The NMM is a manager for "multiple" games. NEVER put it into the Data folder of "one" of them. It belongs into its own folder outside of any games, just as its "mods" folder belongs outside of any games.

And I can copy Lonewolf's statement. The NMM does not understand the packaging and folder structures of 90% of the Oblivion mods uploaded here.

They can all be made compatible, of course, and I was doing it with every single mod I downloaded so far, but it isn't something I'd advise for starters to do.

It involves programming multiple-choice modular installation scripts in XML, and even to me is mostly 'unknown territory' still.

All those mods will present the "Download with manager" buttons on all files, but ONLY because it was made the default choice for all mods already uploaded ages ago, and their authors so far never came back to deactivate it.

The NMM is a manager for "multiple" games. NEVER put it into the Data folder of "one" of them. It belongs into its own folder outside of any games, just as its "mods" folder belongs outside of any games.

And I can copy Lonewolf's statement. The NMM does not understand the packaging and folder structures of 90% of the Oblivion mods uploaded here.

They can all be made compatible, of course, and I was doing it with every single mod I downloaded so far, but it isn't something I'd advise for starters to do.

It involves programming multiple-choice modular installation scripts in XML, and even to me is mostly 'unknown territory' still.

All those mods will present the "Download with manager" buttons on all files, but ONLY because it was made the default choice for all mods already uploaded ages ago, and their authors so far never came back to deactivate it.

Oh wow, I never knew an author can deactivate those! I'll be sure to do that for my mods.

Oh wow, I never knew an author can deactivate those! I'll be sure to do that for my mods.

I had to do that for almost all of mine, as soon as I learned of it back then.

OMOD-ready and BAIN-ready archives are the 'death' for NMM.

And my insane idea of making my mod uploads compatible to just about all managers in existance in the past ultimately only resulted in them being totally incompatible to the NMM in the end.

That was some unpleasant realization back then, I tell you! :pinch:

NMM is NOT a mod and does not either install like a mod or do anything like a mod. It is a separate program and MUST be installed separately from the games. I installed it in E:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager. ( All of my games are on my E: drive)

Create a new folder - if you use the C: drive make a folder named C:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager and install it there.

However, for Oblivion, I still recommend the older Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) as many Oblivion mods will not install properly with NMM - NMM is about 2 years old. Most Oblivion mods are around 8 years old and some were not packaged to be installed the same way as NMM expects them to be ( Many will install with NMM though) OBMM is not quite as simple to use as NMM, but once you see it done once it will be easy.