Deadlier Wildlife: Cats and Bears

AnubisRaven

Hey! I'm always disappointed when I get higher level and able to basically just one shot bears and sabre cats like it's nothing. Giants and Mammoths are still deadly, so why not bears and Sabers?

I'm pretty sure this'd be easy to do, just increase the HP and Damage. Somewhere between where it is now, and giants/mammoths. Don't want them to be too powerful, but it'd be nice if a pair or trio of Cats could take down one lone mammoth.

A couple of comments.

Many years ago, in the bad old days of the Roman empire, they tried setting big cats on bears in the arena. Result? nearly always Bear 1, Cat(s) 0 - they are far too fragile and have skulls that crush with one good bear-paw swipe.

A big cat is inherently a relatively fragile creature, and even the stockier sabre-tooth variants were never going to take down a healthy mammoth. A baby mammoth, however, might be a possible target if a group of them could separate it from a herd. However, they have no great areas of tough hide and/or fat to act as an absorber of arrows, so a one-shot should still be an achievable feat in several areas on a big cats anatomy. Also remember that sabre-tooth cats were basically ambush not chase predators, so they don't have the speed advantages that a modern big cat would have when trying to chase/dodge prey. So maybe the one-shotting isn't TOO far fetched.

Bears? Generally aren't the same KIND of predators as cats and canids, they tend not to be hunters. So they are unlikely to be taking down mammoths or deer except by opportunity (some silly moose with its antlers stuck in a tree would be a good candidate). However, unless you can guarantee a head shot, ideally through an eye, your average grizzly is going to be a very annoyed pincushion and you are going to be a very dead player if things were real. So, in the case of the bears, I tend to agree with you that they are too easy to one-shot at high levels.

A couple of comments.

Many years ago, in the bad old days of the Roman empire, they tried setting big cats on bears in the arena. Result? nearly always Bear 1, Cat(s) 0 - they are far too fragile and have skulls that crush with one good bear-paw swipe.

A big cat is inherently a relatively fragile creature, and even the stockier sabre-tooth variants were never going to take down a healthy mammoth. A baby mammoth, however, might be a possible target if a group of them could separate it from a herd. However, they have no great areas of tough hide and/or fat to act as an absorber of arrows, so a one-shot should still be an achievable feat in several areas on a big cats anatomy. Also remember that sabre-tooth cats were basically ambush not chase predators, so they don't have the speed advantages that a modern big cat would have when trying to chase/dodge prey. So maybe the one-shotting isn't TOO far fetched.

Bears? Generally aren't the same KIND of predators as cats and canids, they tend not to be hunters. So they are unlikely to be taking down mammoths or deer except by opportunity (some silly moose with its antlers stuck in a tree would be a good candidate). However, unless you can guarantee a head shot, ideally through an eye, your average grizzly is going to be a very annoyed pincushion and you are going to be a very dead player if things were real. So, in the case of the bears, I tend to agree with you that they are too easy to one-shot at high levels.

True enough, but Saber Cats are also not really built like any cats. They are not just stocky, they are cat-tanks. I'm not talking about increasing the aggressiveness of either, so in the case of bears, I still think it'd be a great idea to double their damage and health. Saber cats, maybe increase the health by half or so, and double the damage (because let's face it, a saber cat is going to basically ruin your day if you get swiped.)