can you mod any steam game

johnbobthe3rd

i have a couple questions, 1 can you make mods for any game without a sdk? or do you need one? 2 if you do need a sdk for a game can you make your own? 3 can yo change the creation kit to see other files? btw if you wondering why i posted it on the dao page it's because i heard dai might not support a toolset.

No, only games with an SDK can be modded. Each SDK - such as creation kit is going to be for that game only - even the SDK (GECK) for Fallout New Vegas is different from the one for Fallout 3 even though they both use nearly the same Game engine.

Making your own SDK would be a daunting task ( I have looked into what is involved in modifying the Unreal Engine) - you will have to have a commercial version of the Game engine for the game just to start - and that is expensive. So, unless you are already a game programmer you will have a lot to learn. If you are still interested, look into the Unreal Engine as it is readily available and not as expensive as most :thumbsup: https://www.unrealengine.com/

Don't need an SDK for Eclipse, the Dragon Age game engine, (which is called the "Toolset", btw) to make mods for it.
Many, many mods are created without it. Depends what you're trying to do. :thumbsup:

And as bben said, there's no "one-size-fits-all" SDK. Each game (that has one) has its own.

But if you want the Dragon Age one, it's a free download.

There's even a tutorial on how to use it.

Notes:

1. DA2 changed many aspects of the game that modders care about, even though it used the same game engine as DA:O. So the Toolset is of limited value there.

2. DA:I will use the Frostbite3 engine, and DICE has never released an SDK for any version of Frostbite. :sad: