Surround Sound Speakers

I've recently upgraded my speakers, which is something I'm very unfamiliar with. They are a well used, but better than what I had before. The only problem I have is in game, primarily Skyrim. I get a very annoying echo most of the time, and I can only hear well from the two front speakers. It wouldn't be a problem except that depending on where the npc is in relation to my character it seems to only come out of the side speakers or the rear speakers. Is there any way to fix this? The only software I have for this is the Realtek HD audio manager, and I have been playing around with it but really have no idea what I'm doing.

My motherboard is a gigabyte p67a-ud4-b3. And the offending speakers are the rear speakers. The whole setup is an amalgamation of hand-me-down speakers that I managed to get working, and they work well most of the time. I'd just like to know if there is a way to make it so that only the ambient/background sound comes out of the rear ones and not the voices of NPC's and such.