Random Sudden Drop in FPS when "interacting" with menus and objects

CaptainChaos

I was running 30 mods or so, then tried troubleshooting it by running on a handful, but I still can't figure this out.

While playing, everything this going great, everything is working nicely, and then randomly, when I interact with a merchant, open a chest, or do alchemy, or use the SkyXp Mod to cash in xp points, the FPS will drop to something ridiculous so that the scree stutters. It is totally random. Sometimes, I can open 30 chests, go to 10 merchants, and interact with SkyXp through the SkyUI Mod Config submenu no problem. Then all of the sudden, BOOM. Sometimes, it happens only the first or second time I do it. Drop in FPS makes it unplayable.

The realy weird thing is that if I reload, it does NOT fix the problem. If I exit to Desktop and come in again (through SKSE of course) it does NOT fix the problem. HOWEVER, it *seems* to work (at least once or twice) if go through NMM or Steam (NOT using SKSE) - although of course, half the mods won't work without SKSE. If I want to play with SKSE again, it seems I have to restart my machine.

This is very weird, I had a similar issue in Fallout New Vegas (w/o mods) I never was able to fix.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS Naive question? How do I print out a list of Nexus Mods installed? I Googled it but can't seem to find the answer. I checked in Program Files/NMM, but no list seems to be there...

Currently, I have:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Climates of Tamriel.esm

Ambiance Music Overall.esm

Dawnguard.esm

Spike.esm (goes with overhaul guard language esp)

cloaks.esp

more enemies.esp

here there be monsters.esp

real wildlife.esp

steal skill rebalanced.esp

improvedfishBASIC.esp

birdsofskryim.esp

3dnpc.esp

dark_caves_dungeons_ruins_nights.esp

guarddialogueoverhaul.esp

oblivioushorses.esp

skyui.esp

zzzskyxp.esp

I had more and then i stripped it down to zzzskyxp.esp and skyui and dark_caves, but the only time i seem to guarantee not getting this issue is when i don't run SKSE, at least so far.

Thanks for any advice!!

located the problem: unfortunately, I am a victim of SKSE Lag. I saw other posts but no solutions. If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it.

Using Vanilla or even Nexus Mod Manager, I get far in excess of 30fps; the game runs very smoothly, even with all kinds of critters and enemies on the screen. I played 400 hours of Skyrim originally, half vanilla, half with NMM (but no SKSE) and everything ran perfectly. Recently, I started a new game, using many more mods and SKSE. When I use SKSE, the game can work well for minutes or even a half hour. However, whenever I interact with anything like a chest, a merchant, or the Wait Screen (like waiting a few hours of game time), sleeping, entering a new play area like a dungeon through a door, conversations, using Mod Configuation Menu, the game has a CHANCE of suddenly becoming permanently terribly laggy. I say "a chance" because sometimes I can interact with a merchant or a chest and everything is fine, and other times, as soon as I exit the screen, the game becomes very laggy. Sometimes existing to Desktop and coming back will clear it and the game runs fine for a little while again, but sometimes I even need to restart my computer. This problem never happens while fighting, switching weapons, or moving around. It only happens during "interactions" like I described above.
I spent hours and hours trying to debug this and deactivating mods one at a time, until finally I just tried running SKSE alone and discovered, that's enough to cause the problem. If the problem is going on and I exit and restart only through NMM, it works perfectly, even if turn back on the other mods (except of course for the mods that depend on SKSE). So, the problem is definitely SKSE. I love Skryim and would love to experience it again with these SKSE dependent mods, so any advice is appreciated...