Water disappearing

Imrinfected

This is quite possibly the largest problem plaguing me.

When sailing around aboard my ship, I've noticed that complete chunks of the water aren't there as I get closer to them and the water actually loads.

It looks horrible, and I suspect it has something to do with my random crashes.

I've disabled most of the mods in my load order to find the problem is still there. Some times it will move to a different area of the water, but ultimately the problem remains.

Do any of you have any information or help to offer me pertaining to this topic?

If the water is there when you get closer, then this might not actually be a bug, but a limitation imposed by the basic design of the game engine. In other words, that may just be how vanilla Oblivion is and it may not be anything you or your mods have done. There may not really be a fix.

Does your ship go fast? I am thinking that if you modded things so that your ship went slow and the weather was altered so that the fog was always thick enough to limit your viewing distance, you would not see any problems anymore.

If the water is there when you get closer, then this might not actually be a bug, but a limitation imposed by the basic design of the game engine. In other words, that may just be how vanilla Oblivion is and it may not be anything you or your mods have done. There may not really be a fix.

Does your ship go fast? I am thinking that if you modded things so that your ship went slow and the weather was altered so that the fog was always thick enough to limit your viewing distance, you would not see any problems anymore.

No, the water disappears when I get closer. I didn't make that very clear, sorry.

It appears fine from a distance, but when I get closer there are missing spots.

Have you been messing around with .ini settings by any chance? Increasing the igridstoload value can cause this problem.

Is the water still there (able to swim in it), just invisible, or is there nothing there?

Edited by Vagrant0

Have you been messing around with .ini settings by any chance? Increasing the igridstoload value can cause this problem.

Is the water still there (able to swim in it), just invisible, or is there nothing there?

I have been messing around in the .ini, yes. I don't remember if I changed that, but I don't believe I did.

In the places where there are chunks missing from the water, there is nothing there. Unable to swim in it. I'm able to fall down to the bottom by going into this part of the water.

In the places where there are chunks missing from the water, there is nothing there. Unable to swim in it. I'm able to fall down to the bottom by going into this part of the water.

Then this is almost certainly a mod issue. There is some mod present which is changing the water heights in these cells. Using "tlc" from console so you can move below the terrain should confirm that there is water in that cell, it's just moved below where it should be.

Or, you've somehow turned off water entrely.

Edited by Vagrant0

If Vagrant0's idea doesn't fix it, you may be a victim of that 200+ hours of gameplay graphics bug. I've had them, in the Imperial City with missing ground. The poor NPC's just wander into the abyss. Some hit the water down below and live. Other's litter the bottom on the sand.

Then this is almost certainly a mod issue. There is some mod present which is changing the water heights in these cells. Using "tlc" from console so you can move below the terrain should confirm that there is water in that cell, it's just moved below where it should be.

Or, you've somehow turned off water entrely.

I will check.

Would this problem have any affect on stability?

I'm also getting problems like this. Maybe they're related?

http://tinypic.com/r/2hein9c/6

I think it's an LOD mesh as it's low poly, has a bad texture and has no collision. It is not part of the land, as there is ground under it.

The green like is the health bar of my horse, and unrelated to this problem.

EDIT: When I turn of distant land, it disappears, so it must be an lod mesh. I removed them from the data folder, but I still get the problem. Still unsure if the two are related at all, and if they're not I would like to know if it is possible to fix the water problem in the construction set, and how I might do that.

EDIT: Fixed that problem. It was an LOD issue. Not sure why the meshes were loaded so close to me, but it was resolved by generating new lod meshes and textures. The water issue persists.