custom weapon can't be picked up once dropped

backstept

I made a custom rifle in MAX, got it into NifSkope, got my .esp all set and the weapon works fine, but it doesn't seem to work with havok and can't be picked up . . .

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but the search function wasn't helpful . . .

what did I miss and how do I fix it?

• 3 years later...

The weapon probably does not have a bhkCollisionObject collision mesh. The easiest way to fix it is with NifSkope:

1. Copy the bhkCollisionObject branch of another weapon (similar is shape and size to your weapon), then paste it on your weapon.

2. Change the Collision Object setting of the BSFadeNode to the block number of the pasted bhkCollisionObject.

wow I totally forgot about this thread

The solution I found is a bit backwards from that.

I start by extracting a similar weapon from the vanilla game's BSA archives.

Export my new model from MAX and drill down in the nodes to the NiTriShape(or Strips whichever) and RightClick>Copy (not Copy Branch!)

Then expand the nodes on the vanilla .nif and find the NiTriShape I want to replace and RightClick>Paste Over and then change the texture assignments.

Whenever I try pasting the branch in NIFSkope, I get this error:

failed to map parent link BSFadeNode|CombatShotgun
The combat shotgun NIF is the one I'm copying from.

Maybe I should also mention that I imported the original mesh into Blender 2.49 (as recommended on the NIFtools wiki) for editing, then exported it using the Fallout 3 NIF settings.

Edited by dbbolton

dbbolton - Hello!

"failed to map parent link BSFadeNode|CombatShotgun"

The branch you're trying to paste is looking for a BSFadeNode (the very top block) named CombatShotgun as that's the name of BSFadeNode in it's .nif.

To work around this, before you copy the branch, rename the BSFadeNode in the CombatShotgun from which your copying to match the BSFadeNode in your weapon.

Do this by selecting the CombatShotgun's BSFadeNode, go down to it's Block Details, by "Name" click on the Txt & paste in the copied name of your weapons BSFadeNode.

You can then copy branch/paste branch to your weapon without issue.

Don't save the changes in the renamed Combat Shotgun of course, it's done just so you can move Branches.

It's often easier to copy your new weapon's parts into an existing weapon rather than move bits & pieces over to the new one.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa