Who here roleplays fallout 3?

OddballE8

well it is actually very hard to roleplay fallout 3... but it certainly is possible...

you just have to ignore bethesdas sloppy work from time to time (like i noted in my description) but it is possible...

• 4 years later...

I went from the original "Neverwinter Nights" and "Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines" to Fallout 3. Quite a culture shock. In NWN I generally played Warrior Classes like the Paladin and the Monk (both Lawful Good; Paladin by nature, monk by choice). I like roleplaying. But with FO3's flawed Karma system and terrible dialogue choices, the Annoyance Factor skyrocketed. Thankfully, the "I'll touch what I want" mod saved me from going bonkers from every person in the Wasteland telling me to either "look where I was going", or to "be more careful". Before this mod, I frequently massacred Megaton; you help someone and a second later they bark at you you should watch where you're going. So, that mod saved Fallout 3 from disappearing into the wastebin. I also decided to ignore -as far as possible- the whole Karma system and only choose dialogue options that would best fit my character's personality. If someone asks me for my help, I'm willing to lend a hand; but I'm not a total idiot. I don't do favours and I don't help for free. Chances are, that someone personal errand is going to cost me ammo, repairs, and other resources. If they expect me to leap into the fire, I want to be as prepared as possible. Examples: whenever Bryan Wilks comes running up to me -he still scares the cr*p out of me at times- I tell him to calm down and then take the speech challenge. If I fail I tell him to take a hike. With Agatha? If I fail the speech challenge to get her to pay me something, I don't do the quest. If Uncle Roe at Canterbury Commons won't meet my price to settle the feud between the two wacko's, I'm sure he'll find someone who will help him for whatever he is willing to pay.

(I would have loved to have seen a bartering system that would allow you to reopen negotiations; tell Roe that if he refuses me know, the next time I come his way, my fee doubles. Refuse me again, and it doubles once more. And maybe there comes a time when I will refuse him altogether. After all, it is all about supply and demand. And I think my services -while not cheap at all- will help the settlement of Canterbury Commons in the long run). If Lucas Simms won't pay me top dollar -ehr, cap- I won't defuse the bomb. Mr. Burke is out of his mind, so I don't help him out.

My character is usually a hothead who is more at home with shotgundiplomacy than persuasion and charm. She has a fair sense of what's right and wrong, although what's morally right and legally wrong often clash. Laws impose restrictions to protect people, but my character will easily break them, if the need arises. If she needs food, medicine or other resources rather badly -if her life or survival depends on it- she doesn't hesitate to steal what she needs.

She also detest bullies and loudmouths -braggarts and tough guys. One of her fundamental character flaws, is that she behaves like a bully when dealing with aggressive people. If she has acquired too much bad karma before coming to Megaton and Lucas Simms tries to intimidate her, informing her of a quick and bloody demise should she misbehave in his settlement, he doesn't stand a chance. And if anyone in Megaton is stupid enough to come to his aid, they die as well. If it means she will have to massacre Megaton, so be it.

And she especially dislikes Three Dog for his bigotry; he just sits in the well protected GNR studio, telling everyone what a bad person my character is -and he doesn't have to survive the harshness of the Wasteland on a day-to-day basis. When the Ghouls do take over Tenpenny Tower, Three Dog remains silent about the fate of its original occupants. And the Brotherhood of Steel tends to shoot at non feral ghouls, but Three Dog is not going to compromise his cushy and well protected studio by rocking the boat.

When encountering Scribe Yearling, the dialogue option I would wish for, isn't there: "It's a free Wasteland, so I'll go where I please."

Negotiating with total scum like Colin Moriarty, I would have loved the option to smash his face into his own bar, put a .44 Magnum to his temple and tell him I'll pay him in lead if he doesn't tell me what I wish to know (and he can keep the change).

Since it is not possible, I'm glad I found a mod that let's me shoot him, without the whole town swooping down on me in grim retaliation (swooping is bad.)

People of the Wasteland can either meet my price and they will be rewarded with a job well done, or they can wait for someone else to pick up the quest (and there won't be anyone to do so). In setting ultimatums or issuing counter threats, people can comply or die.

I'm not a completist who is trying to do every quest that is out there; I'm not on a wild XP hunt either. I wish to roleplay -and within the confines of the game I try my best.

When I tell Evan King he'd better not miss the next time he takes a shot at me -and he replies he was shooting his gun while I was still an itch in my daddy's pants- I teach him that negligence in thinking before speaking has dire consequences.

When my Lone Wanderer leaves Vault 101, she will soon recognise that this Capital Wasteland is brimming with wasteland *ssholes galore and the only Good Fight out there is one of day-to-day survival.

Just as Smiling Jack in VtmB said: "Everybody can live or burn; it's up to them".

So if anyone gets too close for comfort, if anyone invades my personal space, if anyone thinks they need to belligerently impress or intimidate me, then my legend is going to spread like wildfire -emphasis on "fire".

Roleplaying in FO3? It's a challenge.