Fallout 3 is crashing when I save

joe2006

Looking at the load order, there are a lot of companion mods. As a rule, use only one of the companion overhauls, and then the small single companion ones with it if you want. Even that causes crashing sometimes... I had the crashing issue too when playing on my old copy unpatched or patched to 1.5, and always at the same place running from Springvale to Megaton. With my new copy being the GOTY version that is prepatched to 1.7, I have never had the issue again. Just so you know, most of the newer mods require FO3 1.7 and the newest FOSE to work as intended. From the 9 mods I have made (and am currently playtesting) 5 require FOSE.

Some people say Quicksaves and Autosaves can corrupt savegames, but atleast on this 1.7 version I haven't had it happen in the 300+ hours I have played.

Easiest way to see if your mods conflict is to use FO3Edit and creating a Merged Patch with it. If the game still keeps crashing after that, use the Masterupdate. I have tested way over 400 mods from Nexus, and still haven't had a reason to run Masterupdate though. Some things work for some, others not.