Downloads and reinstall

Molliejay

I have been playing oblivion for some months and have downloaded several mods and fixes to give it an update. However I recently found that I was getting CTD even though I had the various fixes e.g. purger installed. The CTD is not repeatable other than when I attempt a daedric quest.... the machine allows me to enter oblivion but shortly thereafter it crashes. I have used wrye bash to try to sort out load order but, to be honest, I can't be sure that what I did helped or made the problem worse. I am a 'slow' gamer and so I would like to preserve my 'status' rather than starting from scratch.

Anyhow I decided to do a re-install to see if I could fix the problem/make it better...

Problem 1

As I decided that I enjoyed oblivion I bought the 'Knights of the nine' disc to get access to the official-unofficial download content. Problem 1 how to extract what I need from this for a win7 64 bit system as I understand that the installers on the disc only like 32 bit. All the 'extractor' downloads I've accessed make my anti-virus go ballistic; it is suspicious that all have the same recent update-date. Are there any other ways to extract the content.

Problem 2

Load order... How can I tell which order to load the 'other' content. Since my previous install used three mod managers I suspect that this might have caused instability. This time I intend to use Wrye bash from the start as I understand that this controls load oredr best. As I said, I have lots of the popular mods: OOO,COBL,the unofficial patches(knights and shivering),OBGE,OBSE,HGEC bodies etc. Is there a guide for dummies?

I assume that, if I manage to get everything installed 'as is' then I can recover my savegames.

Computer I5, 8G,Nvidia 760 Win7 64 pro

Game Oblivion 5th anniversary issue

Regarding Problem 1; The application extractor on the disc appeared to work and it extracted the DLC files to the correct folder.... so much for reading forums that tell you that some things don't work and you have to use work arounds: hence the original question about extractors. Regarding problem 3I haven't enabled any of the content in the data files

Redarding problem 2; I found BOSS (after failing to find it on NEXUS... the link is broken or it's disappeared) on github and so theoretically I could even sort the load order by hand using the vast textfile 'masterlist'.

Problem 3; the reinstall didn't work or rather the reinstalled application crashes to desktop after two seconds.... the intro gets as far as the BE in bethsada. I read all the 'you must remove everything' in the sticky post but having been bitten by the 'advice...it's too complicated... you have to use work around' posts ( see Problem 1) I'm wondering if it's worth spending hours fixing software that the manufacturers should have debugged before putting it on the market. Software companies, and I don't discriminate between the great and the small in this, seem to have inherited the attitude that once it's been sold they relinquish all responsibility for the product. Imagine buying a car and the wheel drops off after a hundred miles I think that, if this happened, there'd be a fuss : Not so with software the attitude is, to paraphrase pratchett's obervations on the gooseberry, 'if you open the box then you're on your own'.

Regarding 1: I use Win7 x64 and I ran the disc installers for the DLC and all worked fine, with the proviso that I installed Oblivion in c:\Games\Oblivion NOT the default place.

Regarding 2: Just use BOSS to sort the order. I'd also suggest the unofficial patch, the unofficial SI patch, the unofficial dlc patch, and sm plugin refurbish mod so all of the dlc's don't suddenly bombard you with info as you reach the sewers. Also suggested is Wrye Bash JUST for the Bashed Patch feature - you MAY get away without it but it does make the game more robust if used.

Regarding 3: Delete the oblivion.ini in your "My Documents/Games/Oblivion" folder - if it has a wrong value set it'll perpetuate the crash. it auto-recreates when you next run Oblivion

Additional: Install Fastexit 2 to stop problems when exiting the game.

Once you have the game running again, THEN consider learning to clean mods with TES4Edit - the official dlcs are notoriously bad for cleaning. Takes 5-10 minutes to do, but helps keep the game more predictable when you start to add more mods.

Thanks for the suggestions. As I said, I'm still getting to grips with all the tools. I do try to solve these problems myself but sometimes it's the little things that trip you up like following the directions to extract boss into the data folder but then not realising that you have to then move the files back out of the boss sub directory that my extractor created and up one level to be directly in the data folder. It only took me about five minutes to get that one but all those five minutes add up and before you know it it's going dark outside and I haven't sorted things out for work and the dishes need doing etc.etc.etc.

P.s. I'm still open to any more tips if there are more kind people out there who can help.

I think that it's sorted. I still get crashes when I do daedric quests but i'll just try to live without them. Between wrye bash, boss, tes4edit and all the other 'helper' programs I think I've managed to get my machine stable again. Thanks to MarkinMKUK for the advice and thanks to all those who wrote the helper programs I'm sure Oblivion wouldn't have survived without them.

My only remaining problem is that I can't seem to work out how to close a topic.