⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Site updates: stability, premium donations, endorsements, downloading, apostrophes and full-stops

Dark0ne

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very happy that you are addressing the Endorsement issue. It appears though, that you have posted no criteria that a file should meet to receive endorsements. At least some sort of even vague criteria would help. I get the feeling that a lot of people are confused by this and simply ignore the entire thing.

Some may believe that the mod must be the best one ever to receive an Endorsement, & if they want to endorse another one they ought to remove the first one.

Others believe that if you download a mod that does not work, or even causes problems to your computer, that you should still Endorse it.

How about some general idea such as: if you try a mod and it does pretty much what it claimed it would without causing harm then you really ought to endorse it, even if you decide that it does not suit your particular game play tastes?

I think that if people considered endorsements as a thank you for a good contribution to the community, and gave them for every mod they try that works well, then we would have both more and better modders contributing more mods for us. I know there are some modders who have become discouraged and quit modding because of the pathetic endorsement rate their excellent mods received.

Endorsements should also be a public service to those perusing the mods to find one that will be useful and enjoyable. If a mod has a lot of endorsements then it ought to mean that it has worked successfully for many people and is safe to try. Everyone should benefit from more conscientious endorsing.

I think it would help if you posted the basic criteria that you believe a mod should meet for endorsement, so that users would have some clue about what it means here.

Some people are conscientious about repaying the work of the modder with an endorsement & may resent being reminded, but more users are not, & they do need to be reminded that even though the mods are provided for free it is only common courtesy to thank the modders, and useful to let others know that the mod does indeed function properly. A push of a button is not a lot to ask for the hours of work that goes into a mod.

In response to post #15666910. #15667610, #15668710 are all replies on the same post.

Makes me wonder how much of a boost those of us with old stuff for Oblivion will see since those will now begin delivering reminders too.

Slight bug:

If a mod author has disabled endorsements, the download pop-up will still show their mod and if you attempt to endorse or abstain all you get is this message:

"The uploader of this file has disabled file ratings at this time."

The mod will never be removed from the list.

Love the Endorsement Reminders on the downloading dialogue.

Always plan to endorse, but almost always forget to actually do so.

Just so many mods to look thru - so much eye candy - is the only excuse I can offer....

Thanks a bunch. This works great.

These mod makers truly deserve all the recognition we can give them. And more.

And thank you for the awesome service you provide and the amazing website you have created.

Just love you people all to heck....

ya the download is not to happy for me right now it goes all over the place from 55KB's up to 200KB's my max speed is about 340KB's on my connection. unless ive gone over my data cap of 150GB if there is one but i don't know since at&t u-verse has no way to let me check unlike the standard at&t DSL. so far not liking the auto pick manual downloads system but i know it will get better as time pass's Edited by Rex7Dragon95

In response to post #15666235.

You mean you're getting reminded even for mods you technically cannot endorse?
That'd definitely need to be looked into then, of course.

But to me it doesn't sound like a problem with abstaining per se. You shouldn't even be able/forced to make a choice between endorsing or abstaining for mods you technically cannot endorse to begin with.

Awesome stuff. Congrats and thank you for the improved stability, and I'm really liking the new changes to the download process, both with having it choose your server for you and with the endorsement reminder.

And it's nice to see the endorse/abstain system you mentioned being put out.