Folder Structure Etiquette

Keimpx

Hello Nexus,

I'd like to get some information (and feedback) on how fellow mod authors are structuring their data folders. I read and followed the tutorial on TESAlliance by WilleSea which recommends the following formats:

\Oblivion\Data\Meshes\myUserName\myFirstModName

\Oblivion\Data\Meshes\myUserName\mySecondModName

And the same for textures too.

Does anyone else have a better way? What about when you first create your mod? I currently have a folder on my desktop called "Data" where I'm gathering all the meshes and textures I want to use in my mod. It looks a little bit like this:

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Fiat Justitia Ruat Caelum\Data\Meshes\Keimpx\FiatJustitiaRuatCaelum

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Fiat Justitia Ruat Caelum\Data\Textures\Keimpx\FiatJustitiaRuatCaelum

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Fiat Justitia Ruat Caelum\Data\Textures\Menus\Icons\Keimpx\FiatJustitiaRuatCaelum

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Fiat Justitia Ruat Caelum\Data\Sound\FX\Keimpx\FiatJustitiaRuatCaelum

Do you guys just work directly from your data folders in the Oblivion directory? Am I making life harder for myself in the future? Will my textures remember their paths that I set in NifScope?

I'm not new to the CS and TES modding. I made a few things back in 2007/8 but took a long break until now and promptly forgot everything. :ermm:

Thanks! ^_^

Keimpx

Edited by Keimpx

I use a more simple file structure, only including the mod name abbreviation (\Meshes\MOO for instance) and store all resources in a BSA. To test and develop I have several data folders. This will easily show any issues with missing meshes, textures, etc. I backup my mods using different folders for different versions (also for the resources). You can't have too many backups.

I use a more simple file structure, only including the mod name abbreviation (\Meshes\MOO for instance) and store all resources in a BSA. To test and develop I have several data folders. This will easily show any issues with missing meshes, textures, etc. I backup my mods using different folders for different versions (also for the resources). You can't have too many backups.

Do you have a Meshes and Textures .bsa file or just one MyMod.bsa?

Do you find the bsa system to be superior to loose meshes and textures even if you organize them neatly like the example shown in my OP?

I use only 1 BSA for all resources (sound, textures and meshes). There should normally be no need for more. I think BSAs are by far more user friendly and easier to maintain than loose files.

Edited by Maskar

I use only 1 BSA for all resources (sound, textures and meshes). There should normally be no need for more. I think BSAs are by far more user friendly and easier to maintain than loose files.

Thanks Maskar, I'll look into using a BSA for storing my meshes and textures. ^_^

What about OMOD conversion too? I really dislike using external managers for my mods but I'm always happy to learn new ways to make this simple.

DO NOT use absolute paths for textures inside your nifs ...PLEASE...just...don't. it's awful when you have to edit every single mesh in a mod that can sometimes be thousands (i still have very sour memories of DCRP) just to make it work

DO NOT use absolute paths for textures inside your nifs ...PLEASE...just...don't. it's awful when you have to edit every single mesh in a mod that can sometimes be thousands (i still have very sour memories of DCRP) just to make it work

Can you define 'absolute paths'? You mean like the whole 'C:\Users\Administrator...' part? If so that's just for my own testing right now. I find my desktop the easiest place to just drop a folder and gather resources in.

Can you define 'absolute paths'? You mean like the whole 'C:\Users\Administrator...' part? If so that's just for my own testing right now. I find my desktop the easiest place to just drop a folder and gather resources in.

yes. instead just use relative paths ( ../../../textures/Keimpx/FiatJustitiaRuatCaelum) so no matter where the game is installed it will always find the files.

Is there anyway to force relative pathing in NifScope? Right now as you can see my Nifs are using the absolute path.

http://i.imgur.com/pu7D2Rv.png

Do I just edit that line with ( ../../../ before the textures directory?