Folder Structure Etiquette

Keimpx

Is there anyway to force relative pathing in NifScope? Right now as you can see my Nifs are using the absolute path.

<snip>

Do I just edit that line with ( ../../../ before the textures directory?

it's been several years since i touched nifskope, but if i remember correctly you can edit the path directly...and btw, i think the slashes are...back slashes. sorry if details escape me. it's been a while :smile:

what "../" or "..\" means is "go back one directory level", so...you get the idea

Edited by VileTouch

I got it to work simply by removing everything before \data :smile:

So provided everyone has a 'Data' folder before their meshes and textures folder(s) it should all work perfectly! :laugh: (I don't think it's possible to not have that folder structure for your Oblivion install no matter how/where you install it).

Thanks for your help and advice Maskar and VileTouch. :kiss:

Edited by Keimpx

Just fyi, an example of a texture path in nifskope would be: "Textures\MOO\Armor\Daedric Lord\daecuir.dds".

I can't seem to do that. Textures only show up if I have it with the \data\ before the \meshes and \textures directories. That shouldn't be a problem though should it? Everyone has the same structure with the \data folder before their meshes and textures as far as I know...

http://i.imgur.com/nAr6G2Z.png

Just fyi, an example of a texture path in nifskope would be: "Textures\MOO\Armor\Daedric Lord\daecuir.dds".

I can't seem to do that. Textures only show up if I have it with the \data\ before the \meshes and \textures directories. That shouldn't be a problem though should it? Everyone has the same structure with the \data folder before their meshes and textures as far as I know...

Nifskope will auto set the texture path for you as long as the source folder is registered in nifskope. To do this click on "Render/Settings/Add Folder" and then "Folder" to navigate to your mod folder...making sure to select the folder which actually contains the meshes and textures for your mod. So for example if your mod folder has a "Data" folder inside which in turn holds meshes and textures, you would want to navigate to the data folder. Now every time you assign a texture to one of your meshes nifskope will auto crop the texture path to start with just "textures".

This is one thing that really matters...if your texture path starts with anything other than textures...people who download your mod will have problems.

Nifskope will auto set the texture path for you as long as the source folder is registered in nifskope. To do this click on "Render/Settings/Add Folder" and then "Folder" to navigate to your mod folder...making sure to select the folder which actually contains the meshes and textures for your mod. So for example if your mod folder has a "Data" folder inside which in turn holds meshes and textures, you would want to navigate to the data folder. Now every time you assign a texture to one of your meshes nifskope will auto crop the texture path to start with just "textures".

This is one thing that really matters...if your texture path starts with anything other than textures...people who download your mod will have problems.

Oh wow! Neat tip! As long as I've been modding, I never knew that. Thank you for sharing that info.