A question about the console

Sebhiroth

Okay, console, the most powerful tool of all. If I've understood it correctly, it can be used for anything in the game, creating, deleting, killing, resurrecting, EVERYTHING?

So anyway, my question is :

Can I (by using the console) for example create a chest, and make it have "Boss" loot, or can I mod already existing Chest to have better loot, crappy loot etc.

If it's possible, can someone post the console commands and explain about it a bit. (What to do, and what to not do)

Thanks in advance!

To create a new object (chest) or fill an existing chest with 'stuff' and place anything new into the game you will have to have and use the Construction set (CS) The console is not intended for making mods.

Compared to the CS, the console is a very limited tool. Using the CS you could make an entire new game - if you have a lot of time and patience.

No, the Construction set did not come with oblivion.

You can download it here:

TES IV: Construction Set

And here are some tutorials for the Construction Set:

Tutorials

It would be the best if you try these tutorials first, cuz the Construction Set is very confusing at the beginning (at least I had the feeling :P)

Good luck for your first mods :thumbsup:

Think of the console as something of an instant fix for some problems, an ability to try different things you normally couldn't, and the source of many cheats.

Here's a good discussion of the console and the commands that work on it. You can, for instance, give yourself 100000 septims, which would be:

player.additem F 100000

...or you could become invulnerable, which would be:

tgm

...or you could kill anything, which would be:

kill (victim you've indicated with your mouse)

Of course, having all that money, being invulnerable, and killing anyone means the game is essentially over, since there's no challenge and nothing to do. You've won! Time to find something else to play.

That's the problem with cheats, whether in the console or in items. They remove the reason to play while they're satisfying the need to succeed.

So what are non-munchkin uses of the console? Recently I had an issue with two conflicting mods and a poor setting in a third, that led to my new character facing 28 Daedric Prince summons while in the first dungeon. :D I didn't want to restart, so I toggled tgm, and starting using the "disable" command everywhere. Once I got past that, I turned off tgm, changed my Supreme Magicka ini file settings, and stripped down my modlist so I could find the mod conflict.

That's a good use of the console. Enjoy it. You can do a lot with it. :)