I can not unwrap my sword mesh...

I have modeled a sword with blender and now i want to do the texturing part.

I used this tutorial to do it:

Blender Custom Sword

The next step would be to "unwrap" my mesh into the UV/Image Editor.

The tutorial says:

In the left 3D View click on the button that says "Edit Mode" and select "UV Face Select" (UV Face Select mode doesn't exist in blender 2.46, just stay in edit mode). Press a once or twice to select everything. Your mesh should now look like it’s covered with pink facets and the UV Image area should display a blue triangle. If some of the face on your mesh look transparent, the normals are facing the wrong way. You need to go back to Edit Mode and fix them per the previous section’s remarks.

So, my first question is, do i also have to stay in Edit Mode with Blender 2.49b, cuz it seems there is also no UV Face Select mode....

There are just the following options:

Weight Paint

Texture Paint

Vertex Paint

Sculpt Mode

Edit Mode

Object Mode

Well, when I am in the Edit mode and I mark all (the whole sword), the blue triangle appears in the right 3D window appears.

Next step would be to click on UVs->Unwrap, but nothing happens..

http://i46.tinypic.com/2qkkrx2.jpg

Well, in the picture you can see everything before i click Unwrap and also everything when i have allready clicked on it... :blink:

Can anyone maybe help me?

I'm working about an hour to find the mistake, but i cant find any.. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

:thanks: to anyone who can give me tips or can help me!!!

Also, Kudos rewarded ;)

Have no fear, Unavi is here.

Let's start this from the begging. So, you selected all the faces of your model in edit mode, right? And then clicked "U" an selected unwrap, right? Well, unfortunalty is more complicated that this. If UV maps would do them by them self modeling and texturing would be easier by 70% imo. Well anyway. Here are some tips to make a UV map.

First of all you must think how would you project all the sides of your model into 2 dimensions (U,V). This can be complicated and i'm sure you won't understand everything i say but i'll try to explain it.

Do to a good projectjon you must "cut" your model to pieces, by meaking seams. Seams are lines that tell the Unwrapping script where to project your model differently, so that it comes nicely. Seams are added by selecting the edges where you want to create them and the by hittng ctrl + e and seletcing "create seam". Try making a seam on the edges of the blade and then unwrap again. You will see what i want to say. (i'm terrible at explaining, sorry dx)

I'll give you a link to a tutorial for better explanation of unwrapping, just let me find it again.

im just trying it out...i reply back then!

*EDIT*: well, i think i understood what you wanted to tell me, but i cant find the option create seam when i press ctrl+e...

the only options i have are:

mark seam

clear seam

rotate edge cw

rotate edge ccw

loopcut

edge slide

edge loop select

edge ring select

loop to region

regoin to loop

mark sharp

clear sharp

i tried it out the mark steam option but then there was just an orange stripe on the edge?!?..i dont know how to call that right now, just look at the picture :P

http://i45.tinypic.com/zskd38.jpg

mark seam is the right option. Sorry without blender open i forget how the options are called xD. Well you must get those orange lines, but you must select edges of different faces in a logical way to make it useful

ok, i try it out a bit. i post here again if i cant find any sollution.

thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

*EDIT*:

Aaaaaaaaaahhh, i think i got it. Now i cant see 2D pictures of the markes seams of the sword on the right side..another question:

should i make a steam of the whole sword and unwrap it then, or should i just make a seam of one piece (for example just the last piece of the blade) and unwrap it then?

and where would it be better to start unwraping (i mean at the blade or the handle or something else)?

That is all up to you, it dosen't realy matter. Ofc if you make all the seams and then just unwrap and get it right the first time it feels great! but other than that there's no difference.