FormID should be cloned or new?

TheSoon

i noticed using FO3Edit that some of the base settings mods avalible on nexus have their FormID's cloned (the same as in vanilla) and some have FormID's completely new (created).

1.if i want to make a mod that changes for example game setting 'iXPBumpBase'. should its FormID be cloned (same as vanilla - 000C3716 in this case) or new (created by editor)? what are the differences in both cases? which is safer?

2.i know that the first 2 digits are for load priority. but what if i change them to a different priority or change the load order of mod, will the entry change then too? if so, will it all be changed or only the first 2 digits?

edit:

corrected first question, it was unclear and i'm sorry for that.

...2.i know that the first 2 digits are for load priority. but what if i change them to a different priority or change the load order of mod, will the entry change then too? if so, will it all be changed or only the first 2 digits?

Changing the load order of a mod only affects the first two digits of the item(s) ID. You will not see the change in FO3Edit, but it will be in affect if you attempt to spawn an item. Even some mods that appear to have unique IDs such as Underground Hideout* and the Warhammer 40k* mods, the first two digits must still be replaced with the load order number.

* I only use those 2 mods as an example because I use/endorse them both.

I would say same as vanilla if you wish to modify an existing setting.

If you change the formID I think that's kinda like creating a whole "new" entry where you would then have to edit everything that used the "old" vanilla setting to point to the "new" entry.

IF YOU KNOW MORE THAN ME AND KNOW THAT I'M WRONG CORRECT ME ASAP OR NO CHRISTMAS PRESSIES FOR YOU THIS YEAR! */rant*

basing on a simple example i mentioned it appears i don't have to edit everything apart from EDID (just tested it). it works with the vanilla FormID and with the new one too, the game may be using EDID and only it to find this (and other) setting.

concludes, it appears that F3 uses FormID only for allocating memory and load priority...

if anybody knows it's not true please tell me!

note: i'm only using FO3Edit and i'm assuming it shows every entry and doesn't automatically alters whatever when editing.

• 2 weeks later...