AI Packages - walking from city-to-city

Keimpx

Hey Nexus,

I'm new to AI packages. I used to use the CS a lot in 2008/9 to add new items and companions mostly. I've not experimented with much else. I have an NPC I'd like to go on a very long walk - all the time.

I'd like this NPC to start in Leyawiin. From there he'll walk up to Bravil. From Bravil to Skingrad, then to Anvil. From Anvil to Chorrol and up to Bruma and after that, Cheydinhal. Finally back down to Leyawiin for a few hours/a day. Repeated over and over. I'd like him to stay in each city for maybe 5 - 8 hours before moving on to the next.

Are there any tutorials on AI packages for moving this much? I've looked at the TES CS wiki but I can't find anything relevant - only a tutorial on making companions that follow and wait. I don't care if the NPC walks along the roads or just hikes through the wilderness.

Any tips on where to start with packages? I guess this would use the quest system somehow right? Especially if I wanted a quest marker on the NPC.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer :)

Doesn't need the quest system. Just assign the AI package to the NPC the way you would for a vendor to open & close shop. Packages that cross overnight tend to break, too.

The way I made a guy go from town to town in a loop (in a mod I never released, so for whatever it's worth) was to leave Monday morning from Cheydinhal and go to Bruma. Then leave Tuesday morning from Bruma to Chorrol. Then leave Chorrol on Wednesday morning for a landmark (Faregyl Inn?) on the way to Bravil. Then go the rest of the way to Bravil on Thursday. Then Friday at dawn, go from Bravil to Leyawiin. Then Saturday, go from Leyawiin to the Imperial Bridge Inn. Then go from there back to Cheydinhaal on Sunday morning.

It took the NPC about ten to twelve hours to walk each leg of the journey. Sometimes I had to put more intermediate stops in, to get the pathfinding to work rigtht. Like, leave Cheydinhal at 06:00 and go to Roxey Inn. Then, leave Roxey Inn at 14:00, and finish the way to Bruma. His natural inclination was to take the back road to Bruma, and get killed in a fight at Lake Arrius.

snip

Is there any particualr reason why packages choose to break over night? If I want this NPC tracked in real time (i.e his packages are always running regardless of the PC being nearby or in the same worldspace) I need to check that 'No Low-Level Processing' check box right?

I'll think of interesting towns and inns for my NPC to stop at along the way - it's more realistic for him to take an hours break between such spaced out locations.

Right, I've got all my packages finished. On every Monday at 8 AM my NPC will go to Bravil. On Tuesdays he will go to Skingrad. Wednesdays he will go to Chorrol. Thursdays he will go to Bruma. Fridays he will go to Cheydinhal and the following Saturday morning he will return to Leyawiin - his starting location. He will stay in Leyawiin all day Sunday until Monday morning at 8 AM when he will repeat the cycle. Here's a photo of my packages. I think I got them all set up right?

http://i.imgur.com/Js8ycF7.png

Now I'd like to try adding a quest marker to my NPC. I've made a new quest with one stage (10) and in the quest targets tab I added a condition that the quest must be stage 10 and if so then add a marker to my NPC. Here are some images.

http://i.imgur.com/sT6eujr.jpg

And the quest targets menu.

http://i.imgur.com/j3byOdP.jpg

The quest data menu is correctly set up with the 'IsPlayableRace = 1.00' condition so I'm not sure why I don't have a quest marker yet or how to initiate the quest if that is what needs doing :(