Party Members of... Warriors!

Osvir

Sure, Dragon Age: Origins consists of a world full of warriors. But still! I was discussing with a friend and we quickly realized that "There needs to be either more characters or more skill trees!".

Character Reviews:

- Sten, Warrior, Two-Handed Weapons

"Sten is awesome, in my opinion, but he is very "boring" in battle. He is no different from Ohgren in my opinion."

Idea of Sten would be to change his "Two-Handed Weapons" into "Two-Handed Swords".

* Two-Handed Swords, Sten Unique Skill Tree (Replacing Two-Handed Weapons)

- Ohgren, Warrior/Berserker, Two-Handed Weapons

"Ohgren is also a favorite, much like Sten. But his build gets rather boring as he feels and acts in such a similar way like Sten in battle."

Two ideas. When Ohgren, or a Berserker, goes into "Berserk" mode. You can't control that character for a set duration of time. Damage more, takes more damage. Also, instead of "Two-Handed Weapons" it could be "Two-Handed Axes".

* Berserk Mode

* Two-Handed Axes, Ohgren Unique Skill Tree (Replacing Two-Handed Weapons)

- Alistair, Warrior/Templar, Sword & Shield

"Nothing should be changed with Alistair. He is different in his fighting style. And you can even, if you have two warriors with sword & shield (Like I did) you can build Alistair and the other warrior completely different."

- Morrigan, Mage/Shapeshifter

"Should not be changed in my opinion. She is unique and her build, naturally, becomes different from Wynne's or main character Mage if you do not effortly try to make her into the same as Wynne or main character"

- Wynne, Mage/Spirit Healer

"Same thing as with Morrigan"

- Leliana, Thief/Bard

"Leliana is a rather boring character in my opinion. She starts out with Bow skills. And she talks about throwing daggers when you want to learn the Bard Specialization. How wrong is that?"

Ideas, give her a "Throw Daggers" Skill Tree. And anyone learning Bard will also get that Skill Tree.

* Throw Daggers, Unique Leliana Skill Tree

* Anyone becoming Bard learns "Throw Daggers" Skill Tree. Though not as good as Leliana's

- Zevran, Thief/Assassin

"Zevran is really cool. I used him a lot. I liked him a lot as well. But he wasn't that much of a difference in combat as any other dual wielding character."

Ideas, give Zevran either a unique single dagger styled skill tree or a unique dual wielding skill tree that only he can use. Also giving him more or more stealth/assassin like abilities

* Single Dagger Skill Tree OR Dual Wield Unique Skill Tree

* Assassin Unique Skill Tree

These character ideas are simply, and really, to make the party more unique.

* If you have Ohgren instead of Sten there would be a real difference. Having both of them they could act in different manners as well at a further extent.

* Making yourself a Thief Bow user or Warrior Bow user would make your character and Leliana differ, due to her dagger throwing skills.

* Zevran would be more Assassin like, making it possible for your Thief/Assassin and Zevran being in the same party at the same time. AND be different and fulfill different purposes in the battle.

Additional Characters:

- Jowan, Mage/Blood Mage

"Jowan was a character I was expecting to see in my party. What with the abundance of warriors. But I did not, which was a bit saddening imho."

- That Pirate Chick I don't remember the name of, Thief/Duelist

"Though I did not expect her in my party when you met her. She was a duelist. She could really strengthen the party and the lack of the 3rd Thief."

- Swiftrunner, Warrior/Werewolf

"I mean, werewolf. What else can I say? ^^"

The general idea of adding, Jowan, Pirate Chick and Swiftrunner would even out the numbers (currently, 3 warriors, 2 thieves, 2 mages, 2 creatures. With my ideas here on the forum it would be 3, 3, 3, 3).

Additional Skill Trees/Weapons:

- Two-Handed Mauls, for Champion

"Bashing, stunning and strong against golems and similar"

- Two-Handed Axes, for Ohgren (Only)

"Dunno what it would be good for really, other than I thought it fitting for a Berserker like Ohgren >=)"

* Strong Arm (Passive) Makes it possible for Ohgren to Dual Wield Two-Handed Axes >=D

- Two-Handed Swords, for Sten (Only)

"Sweeping attacks, pushing enemies back and knockbacks"

* Charge (Sten charges into the enemies with his shoulder, pushing them back. Or something I dunno)

* Paddle (Hits with the blunt side of the blade, pushing enemies back)

- Throw Daggers, for Bard

"Self explanatory. Right?"

- [Weapon] One-Handed Hammer

"I don't know why, but whenever I play Baldurs Gate. I make an uber tank. And eventually he always have a hammer in his hand. I really miss the one handed hammers in Dragon Age Origins.

well, I know that this isnt exactly what you're looking for, but it can at least help you with a few of the criticisms that you have.

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4 no autolevel. which means that you get to pick all of the npc's skills, talents, specs, attributes, etc when they join the group. Meaning that you dont have to accept all the presets that they assign to Leliana, Sten, Morrigan, Shale, Oghren, Alistaire, Dog, and Zev.

You can set them up for whatever fighting style that you want.

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11 dual wield all weapons. For some of those two handed combos that you were talking about.

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=174 all can learn it opens up the majority of the skillsets to characters that normally wouldnt be able to these skills. For instance if you want to have Oghren kick somebody in the groin using the Rogue's LowBlow attack, here it is.

want another rogue in your party? http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13 meta game items has an item that can change the core class of any character except for shale and dog. (I however dont recommend trying this on a save game that you plan on taking into Awakenings when it releases. It could cause issues?) I also dont recommend trying this item on the Warden, it crashes my game whenever I try to use it on myself.

But you could turn Sten, Oghren, Alistaire, any of them into a completely different class, then use the rebirth ring to reset all their skills.

Thank you DrakeWolf for your ideas and thank you for providing links! Much obliged. Even though, as you said, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

And thank you Skadis, for filling in that one too. 5 warriors if you create a player warrior as well =P

I know about that Dual Wielding 2-Handed Weapons mod. But I never installed it, dunno why (I did finish the game and became a bit "meh" about replaying).

What I am looking for really, narrowing it down, is a change in either Sten or Ohgren. And Lelianna.

Two or three more skills that make them unique in battle. These are the kind of ideas I got, and it's more of idea discussion rather than an actual request at this point from my side:

Sten Talents:

Qunari Will:

Aura - Makes Sten intimidating, lowers enemy defense and party defense (except Sten of course)

Passage of Qun:

Activated/10-15 sec duration - Asala Only - Sten attacks faster and harder.

Ohgren Talents:

Drunken Haze:

Sustained - Ohgren attacks harder, takes more damage.

Hangover =P

Semi-Activated/After Drunken Haze deactivation - Ohgren becomes stunned for 3 sec, attacks even harder than Drunken Haze, misses more for 10-15 sec.

Lelianna Talents:

Again, Throw Daggers =P

Throw daggers, that is a skill I would love to have on my rogue/assassin/duelist, it makes sense for any rogue really since it is one of the staple moves of the archetype. Who needs a bow when you can carry along a bandoleer of daggers to throw. Take into account that most cities, even modern one's have twists and turns that make the long range of bows mostly useless, and the majority of enemies I encounter are either right beside me in seconds, or my mage is blowing them up from the long distance they stay at.

Osvir- no prob, glad to help out when I can.

I havent given it a go at trying to come up with new skills for this game, so I can't say how complex it woud be for a person to make the skills that you were talking about like for sten.

I know that I'd like to see a throwing skill too. I know it would require making a new weapon type that utilizes ammuniton, unless you could use the same mechanics for the bow/xbow, with it's endless supply of arrows, unless you add a different type of arrows to it.

Shuriken type weapons would be incredibly easy to make meshes for, in programs like zbrush or mudbox, and the animations for such weaps would be childsplay, as all they would have to do, is spin.

And I myself greatly wish that I knew how to create a glave type weapon which could be hand-held, or thrown. Like, a multibladed dagger. For those that don't know what a glave is, watch the BLADE series of movies with Wesley Snipes, or the Aliens Vs. Predator movie.