New Money

Felix14

I have tried and utterly failed (due to my miniscule knowledge of Modding) at making a new money system that uses Paper Notes.

I request that some brave modder to make a new system of paper currency, if it is possible. Perhaps banks to accompany this?

That is kind of interesting. I wouldn't know if it's doable though. It would have to involve making notes or coins of different values than just having a 1 septim coin. It would add a lot to immersion but the mod would have to have a totally overhauled way of computing currency. How to distribute the currency to the NPCs would be really tricky too, I think.

Well, from the looks of it the currency system is hard-coded in, which means you can't alter in the way you're suggesting.

If the Misc. item 'gold001' had a script on it, then you'd have a chance here.

There is another way you could go about this though. Instead of having them be money,

have them be what paper money is meant to be, a representation of money.

What I mean is, if you created a miscellaneous item that used these note meshes, then

you could assign them the corresponding values. (i.e. a 50 Septim note is worth 50 Septims).

If you tried to sell these to a merchant you'd have mercantile and all sorts of other things messing

with there values, though.

So, you have a bank teller. You tell him that you want to exchange your notes

for gold septims (which you'd have to do before being able to buy anything, sadly)

a script could then calculate the value of your notes and then give you the requisite

amount of gold.

You could claim that due to all the bandits on the roads the Empire has introduced this, of

course if you don't have the gold to pay the bandits they kill you, but this is bureaucracy.

They won't take the paper money.

This would be a lot more useful if you could drop gold like you could in Morrowind and it had

a realistic weight. That way if you had say 500,000 gold pieces, clearly you're not going to

walk around with that in your pocket, and could purchase the lighter paper bonds.

You could also work in some sort of 'Bandit Insurance' offered by the banks, so perhaps

if the Bandits do take the paper money you'd have a guarantee of return on your gold.

That would increase immersion and make this more useful.

And of course for the unscrupulous types you can always break into the bank vault

and steal the notes (and ideally you'd be forced to go to another city to sell them).

I'm merely suggesting some ideas, but I also can see how most of

this can be done, though. Such a system would be possible.

Well, from the looks of it the currency system is hard-coded in, which means you can't alter in the way you're suggesting.

If the Misc. item 'gold001' had a script on it, then you'd have a chance here.

There is another way you could go about this though. Instead of having them be money,

have them be what paper money is meant to be, a representation of money.

What I mean is, if you created a miscellaneous item that used these note meshes, then

you could assign them the corresponding values. (i.e. a 50 Septim note is worth 50 Septims).

If you tried to sell these to a merchant you'd have mercantile and all sorts of other things messing

with there values, though.

So, you have a bank teller. You tell him that you want to exchange your notes

for gold septims (which you'd have to do before being able to buy anything, sadly)

a script could then calculate the value of your notes and then give you the requisite

amount of gold.

You could claim that due to all the bandits on the roads the Empire has introduced this, of

course if you don't have the gold to pay the bandits they kill you, but this is bureaucracy.

They won't take the paper money.

This would be a lot more useful if you could drop gold like you could in Morrowind and it had

a realistic weight. That way if you had say 500,000 gold pieces, clearly you're not going to

walk around with that in your pocket, and could purchase the lighter paper bonds.

You could also work in some sort of 'Bandit Insurance' offered by the banks, so perhaps

if the Bandits do take the paper money you'd have a guarantee of return on your gold.

That would increase immersion and make this more useful.

And of course for the unscrupulous types you can always break into the bank vault

and steal the notes (and ideally you'd be forced to go to another city to sell them).

I'm merely suggesting some ideas, but I also can see how most of

this can be done, though. Such a system would be possible.

I say ol' chap! THat is a genius idea! I think I'll try to work on it tha way! I may fail though, but I'll see what I can do. Thank you for the comments fellows, and since it is just a suggestion/idea, anyone is welcome to try and make it.

What ZProspero suggested is not only possible, it's already being done.

Pronam and I are making a mod that replaces the usual system with one with multiple coins, each with different values. We're using a similar, but more complicated system (things are changed automatically, you don't have to ask an NPC to change the notes, or "fake" coins in this case), and I'm pretty confident I can get it to work. :)

What ZProspero suggested is not only possible, it's already being done.

Pronam and I are making a mod that replaces the usual system with one with multiple coins, each with different values. We're using a similar, but more complicated system (things are changed automatically, you don't have to ask an NPC to change the notes, or "fake" coins in this case), and I'm pretty confident I can get it to work. :)

Well, if and when you finish this new mod, send me a link please.

I think if you simply made it I could download it, alter the Nif's to paper notes (for personal use only).

Btw: Thank all of you for your comments.