HELP! Running too fast

saintgio3

I downloaded FOSE and the Batman & Catwoman mods today. When I tried on Catwoman, it had a speed increase, everything was fine. Then every once in a while the speed would be INSANE, and I'd end up somehow dashing up buildings or leaping long distances or SOMETHING. It was cool for a while, and when I wanted to stop it all I had to do was re-equip the suit and I'd be back to normal until it randomly happened again. Well then I downloaded Gantz and the speeding problem happened again, but this time I couldn't fix it no matter what I did. What is this? Is it FOSE or the Batman&Catwoman? Neither? I just want to fix this so I can resume normal play.

Hi, the problem seems to be a mod permanently modifying your speed... If its made by using a quest, I don't know if you can remove the speed modifier at all, unless you know the name of the quest and disable it.

Here is what you can try though:

Open console, and type: fMoveBaseSpeed 77

Another thing to try:

Open console and type: Player.SetActorValue SpeedMult 1

If that doesn't help, it is most likely a quest (or the mod edited the General quest that runs in the background all the time) that has left something haunting into your savegames, so you probably can't get rid of it at all. In that case, the best bet would be to load a save from before you installed the batman mod.

I'll have a look at the mod in question today if I have time.

Edit: I had a quick look at the mod, and it sets a lot of global variables, so it will take some time to see what the problem might be. One possibility is another mod changing speed too, and in the process conflicting, and making the speed changes "permanent".

Hi, the problem seems to be a mod permanently modifying your speed... If its made by using a quest, I don't know if you can remove the speed modifier at all, unless you know the name of the quest and disable it.

Here is what you can try though:

Open console, and type: fMoveBaseSpeed 77

Another thing to try:

Open console and type: Player.SetActorValue SpeedMult 1

If that doesn't help, it is most likely a quest (or the mod edited the General quest that runs in the background all the time) that has left something haunting into your savegames, so you probably can't get rid of it at all. In that case, the best bet would be to load a save from before you installed the batman mod.

I'll have a look at the mod in question today if I have time.

Edit: I had a quick look at the mod, and it sets a lot of global variables, so it will take some time to see what the problem might be. One possibility is another mod changing speed too, and in the process conflicting, and making the speed changes "permanent".

I typed exactly those things and it either said "whateverwhatever not found" or "blahblah could not parse this line"

I didn't have this problem before downloading FOSE and the catsuit. In fact, I shouldn't have any other mods that mess with the speed.

Well whatever it did it did with a object effect script, then changed game settings thanks to FOSE. Whatever it did can be found by reading that script with the FOSE-editor, I think plain old GECK would let you read it, you just might not be able to edit an save it. Open geck load the mod, then up in the tabs open the script editor an find the script which allows the effect.

The only reason I mention it is because there are a lot of hidden settings that you can use in order to do things, an most of them you can't find.

If it's working correctly, then when you put the item on the script runs, then when you take it off the script should set things back to default, but that's only if the person who made it wrote the script out to work that way.

It's risky, like say I put on a outfit that does something cool like this, I go outside an die, when I reload the save game the effect is still going to be there, because I didn't put on an take off the outfit. So it could be the case you just need to put on the outfit then take it off, but like I said it depends on how well the script was written.

I've locked settings like this into save games before. Which happened because I saved the game, or closed the game while it was running. Whoopz, but most times you can reverce it.

After testing and GECK:ing over 400 mods, I won't install any new mods before I make sure they do only what they are supposed to do... Too many mods have changes that are not even close to the supposed purpose of the mod itself. Like a clothing mod modifying globals or game setting for example. It's easy to check the mod in FO3Edit...

Anyway, modifying the vanilla globals is a VERY bad practice, and no modder should do this, ever. If a global variable is needed, it is easy to add one that the mod can use instead. There is a good reason some game developers never release any modding tools for their games ;)

As for the "sticky" scripts, it's very easy to make a small extra script that checks if the item in question is equipped, and stops the other script if it's not. Same goes for quests.

Then there's the problem with actual bugs, like adding a race breaking other races (or actually the editor changing the values to wrong ones)...